Friday, September 6, 2024

Jessica (Murrman) Recker

 



1. What is your educational background and what positions have you held? Please include the current school district and grade/s.

I am currently in my 11th year of teaching Special Education at Duquesne City School District. During my time here I have taught grades K-8, currently teaching 6-8 Life Skills/Autistic Support. I have also taught in the learning support classroom ranging in grades 4-8. In addition to this I have been a teacher mentor to roughly a dozen teachers in the special education field. I obtained my bachelors and masters degree from SRU as well as my Special Education Supervisor Certificate.


2. Name one SRU experience, in general or specific to the field, that you will never forget and explain why.

While at SRU I was able to have a variety of field experiences including a few week summer experience in inner city Philadelphia as well as student teaching in Ireland for 6 weeks. Both of the experiences provided me with a different perspective to teaching and provided me with skills I may not have gained otherwise.


3. Name an SRU faculty that had a positive influence on you and explain why.

Joe Merhaut has had a positive influence on me in multiple aspects. The first one as a professor, showing me how to keep education engaging and fun while learning at the same time. He continued to be a mentor as he was the Special Education Supervisor at my district for three years. He also shows pride in his family which provides a positive influence outside of the education world.


4. What initially piqued your interest in pursuing a degree in education?

As a child I was always playing “school” with my younger sister and insisted on always being the teacher. I then found a passion to teaching Spanish to her at a young age while that was introduced to me in middle school. I always found myself helping others in one way or another and decided that teaching was my passion.


5. What do you love most about teaching?

My favorite thing about teaching is building relationships with the students and watching them grow. I radiate kindness in my classroom and encourage my students each day to be the best them. When I see that happen it reminds me that I am right where I need to be.


6. What makes a great teacher?

A great teacher is someone who is kind, has patience, and believes in their students no matter the hurdles they may be facing.

No comments:

Post a Comment