Friday, August 23, 2024

Cameron Meyers

 



1. What is your educational background and what positions have you held? Please include the current school district and grade/s.

I am a 2023 Slippery Rock graduate, holding a Bachelor’s of Science in Middle Level History Education, as well as a minor in Criminology. I am currently deployed to Africa with the Pennsylvania Army National Guard. 

2. Name one SRU experience, in general or specific to the field, that you will never forget and explain why.

I will never forget my time as a student teacher at Slippery Rock Middle School but especially when I had missed a week or so due to military training and when I returned my students were ecstatic to see me which made me realize that this is something I would do for the rest of my life and I am so thankful for the opportunity to teach at the school and under such an amazing teacher. 

3. Name an SRU faculty that had a positive influence on you and explain why.

This is the hardest question I’ve ever had to answer because all the SRU faculty I have encountered over my years there were exceptional. If I had to choose one though it would be my success coach Julie Ferringer, she always had open availability if I needed to talk with her about anything and she was always there to help and genuinely cared and helped me get through some tough times. 

4. What initially piqued your interest in pursuing a degree in education?

Throughout all my years of schooling I have always found history to be so interesting and I enjoyed talking about it to everyone, so when I decided to change my major I knew I wanted to be a history teacher to show others how interesting and creative history can be. 

5. What do you love most about teaching?

The thing I love the most about teaching would have to be seeing the growth of my students from my first day of student teaching to my last. Watching them develop and enjoy the information being shared to them as well as teaching me new things. I am grateful for my time at Slippery Rock Middle School. 

6. What makes a great teacher?

I believe wholeheartedly that being creative and engaging with the students is crucial to success as a teacher but also being able to positively impact students’ growth and learning is also important. Teachers need to create an environment that students feel welcome and excited to learn in. 

No comments:

Post a Comment