Friday, September 27, 2024

Anthony Cacciotti

 


1. What is your educational background and what positions have you held? Please include the current school district and grade/s.

 I graduated from Slippery Rock in May 2022 with a bachelor’s degree in Secondary Education: Social Studies with a minor in Special Education. I am currently in my third year of teaching at my Alma mater: Bishop McCort Catholic High School in Johnstown, PA. I teach 8th Grade Pennsylvania History and 11th Grade U.S. History II.

 

2. Name one SRU experience, in general or specific to the field, that you will never forget and explain why.

 Although my major was Social Studies education, I had really great experiences with Special Education! During my time at SRU, I helped with the Special Olympics and absolutely loved the experience. I still try to help with the Special Olympics back home in Johnstown. I was also involved in a program called the Transition Assistance Program at SRU. Two to three days of the week, students from local high schools with learning disabilities were on campus to complete daily tasks. Students would work on their physical, emotional, and nutritional lifestyle. I had a great experience every time I helped out with the Transition Assistance Program!

 

3. Name an SRU faculty that had a positive influence on you and explain why.

 Professor John Hicks! Dr. Hick’s is an awesome individual and a fantastic teacher and leader. I went out of my way to take his courses while I was at SRU. Dr. Hick’s is extremely approachable as not only an educator but a person as well. I enjoyed talking with him about education and sports. He made scheduling classes enjoyable and easy.

 

4. What initially piqued your interest in pursuing a degree in education?

 My parents are both educators and actually both attended Slippery Rock University to get their education degrees! They helped me in every step of earning my degree and my teaching experience. From a young age, I saw how much they enjoyed their occupations, so I decided to follow in their footsteps. It’s also very nice to have weekends, holidays, and summers off!

 

5. What do you love most about teaching?

 The process of student learning and building relationships with students! It’s an amazing feeling when you assess a student on material they have learned and they understand it. Education can sometimes fall into a pattern of rote memorization. I strive to have my students work on their critical thinking skills and problem solving skills. I also coach football, basketball, and baseball at Bishop McCort, so it makes building relationships with students much easier!

 

6. What makes a great teacher?

 A great teacher is a great person! An educator may see students for 7 hours of the day, but has no idea what their students are doing the rest of the day. In those 7 hours, teachers should do their best to make their students better scholars and better individuals. A great teacher is an understanding teacher. You may not know what students are going through at home or outside of school. Teachers should always be understanding of their students and always want to help in any way possible. Teachers can be role models that exemplify good behavior and maturity which students can see and strive to do the same.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment