Friday, September 13, 2024

Katie Johnston


 

1. What is your educational background and what positions have you held? Please include the current school district and grade/s.

I have my dual certification and bachelor degree in early childhood education and special education with a minor in leadership through Slippery Rock University. I loved SRU so much that I also completed my masters in special education - autism through SRU.  This will be my fifth year teaching in Pennsylvania. I taught special education for three years at St. Stephen’s Lutheran Academy (K-2) and one year as an elementary autistic support teacher (5th-6th) at Crawford Central. This year I will be stepping away from special education to be a kindergarten teacher in the same school district. 

2. Name one SRU experience, in general or specific to the field, that you will never forget and explain why.

There are too many great SRU experiences to pick just one. However, from those experiences I will never forget how great of a home SRU was for 5 years, the lessons I learned, or the friendships that I made during. 

3. Name an SRU faculty that had a positive influence on you and explain why.

It is so hard to name only one professor. I absolutely loved and looked up to the entire Special Education Department. The names that stick out the most are Dr. Erickson, Dr. Mild, Dr. Merhaut, and Dr. Bieniek - they always went above and beyond as educators. They were always caring, passionate, encouraging, and insightful. I know I owe a lot to them for helping shape me into the educator I am today. 

4. What initially piqued your interest in pursuing a degree in education?

I have always said I wanted to be a teacher when I grew up. I love to help others and to help students reach that “ah ha moment” that I saw during early childhood classes in high school. I had an amazing first grade teacher- Mrs. Neill-Meade -  she inspired me to become a teacher. She cared about everyone and made sure everyone was pushed to do their best. She was able to be silly with us, but could also give you the ‘teacher look’ that would snap you right back into place. I admire how she was able to balance good classroom management and relationships with her students. I knew that I wanted to be like her one day. She actually let me come into her class when I was in my 3rd year at SRU to read to her current class. She still had my class picture from when I was her student years ago. She was an amazing role model.

5. What do you love most about teaching?

I know it’s very cliché to say - I love to build relationships and watch my students grow and to witness their “ah-ha” moments. It is the most rewarding feeling to see how far they go and to see the big smiles and glow in their eyes as well as that sense of pride in themselves when they successfully complete a hard task. I love getting drawing or pictures from my students and being able to joke around with them, but be serious when needed. It’s very rewarding to be a teacher, there are rough days but the kids make it worth it. 

6. What makes a great teacher?

I think what makes a great teacher is compassion and listening. You have the greatest looking classroom, lesson plans, and classroom management plan, but without having a mutual relationship with your students it won’t get you far. It’s important to listen to your students and to make them feel like they are heard and matter. Students love when you are yourself and being silly with you - and they respect you back when you give them routine and follow through. 

No comments:

Post a Comment