Friday, October 4, 2024

Jennifer Bytheway

 


1. What is your educational background and what positions have you held? Please include the current school district and grade/s.

I am currently the K-5 Special Education Supervisor at Commonwealth Charter Academy- aka CCA. Prior to that I taught at East Liverpool Jr/Sr High School. I began there in the Jr. High Multiple Disabilities classroom and then moved into teaching remedial reading in grades 7-12. Before that, I taught 6th grade Language Arts at CCA for 2 years. My very first teaching job upon graduating SRU was in alternative education in Youngstown, Ohio.

2. Name one SRU experience, in general or specific to the field, that you will never forget and explain why.

I had so many experiences during my time at SRU that prepared me fully from graduation day one to be an educator. One of the most memorable experiences without a doubt though was my student teaching. Dr. Kim Creasy was my co-operating professor and he offered me so much great advice when he observed. He also helped me see my own unique strengths and how to build upon them.

3. Name an SRU faculty that had a positive influence on you and explain why.

Dr. Erikson had such a large impact on where I ended up today. He introduced me to the world of cyber education and gave me an opportunity to explore during my field experience. He was also a huge support when I was completing my special education supervisor program. He always had a great way of encouraging us to think outside of the box while not losing sight of our number one reason for what we do: students!

4. What initially piqued your interest in pursuing a degree in education?

I wanted to make a positive impact in life. Having some personal experiences within my family dealing with education for learners with unique needs inspired me to want to be part of change. I realized that I was fortunate to have an extensive understanding and empathy of these situations that could really be used in any school setting.

5. What do you love most about teaching?

The forever impact we have even when we do not always get to see it first hand. I am old enough now where students reach out to me to tell me where they are now. Nothing is more rewarding than hearing from the kid many thought would not graduate sharing that he has a great job and is succeeding in life! 

6. What makes a great teacher?

There are so many important traits but at the end of the day I think the most important thing is flexibility and a growth mindset. The world we live in, and the children we are so lucky to teach, all have so many different backgrounds, experiences, abilities, and attitudes towards learning. We have to have a willingness to change and adjust to our kids' needs.


No comments:

Post a Comment