Thursday, February 11, 2016

Tommy Toone


What year did you graduate from SRU and what was your major?
I graduated from SRU in May 2014. My major was Health/Physical Education.

What job(s) have you landed?
In July 2014 I landed a job as a Health/Physical Education teacher at Swatara Middle School in Harrisburg, PA.

How did you prepare for the interview for the job you landed?
I prepared for my interview by practicing the interview skills I learned at SRU as well as emphasizing all the unique educational experiences I had while in college during the interview.

What have you done well at that job?
I have taken the skills I learned at SRU and used them to create active and engaging lessons for my students.

What types of recognition, awards, honors or even activities have you been involved in?
Last year I was the Head Basketball Coach for the 8thgrade boys’ basketball team. At the end of the school year myself and the other Health/PE teachers were recognized with a teamwork award. One of the other Health/PE teachers is a SRU graduate as well!

What SRU experience or faculty influenced you and in what way?
Dr. Zillifro, Dr. Nichols, and Dr. Leight are three incredible professors at SRU who have influenced me by encouraging me to work hard, get involved with as many activities as possible to separate myself from other teaching candidates, and the importance of utilizing technology in the classroom.

What else can you tell us about your success story that SRU students could learn from?
I applied to 75+ teaching positions during my last semester at SRU and would encourage all education majors at SRU to do the same. I am still contacted by schools I applied to over a year ago. The more opportunities you give yourself to succeed, the better off you will be!

No comments:

Post a Comment