Friday, February 19, 2016

Nicole Garofolo



What year did you graduate from SRU and what was your major?
I graduated in May 2014 with a degree in Early Childhood Education and Special Education....

What jobs have you landed?
The summer after I graduated I worked an Extended School Year program at the Watson Institute. I also received a position as an Autistic Support Teacher. My classroom is the first Autistic Support elementary classroom in the district, so it was a great experience to start this program and set it up with a lot of help and support.

How did you prepare for the interview for the job you landed?
I prepared for this interview by asking myself questions that I felt would be asked and I rehearsed them. Many professors and different cooperating teachers that I worked with recommended doing this and it worked! It made me much more confident in my answers and less nervous as the interview went on.

What have you done well at that job?
I have started the elementary Autistic Support program at my school and used every resource that I possibly could. I have gained a lot of skills that were taught to me at Slippery Rock, but now are used everyday. Starting a brand new classroom is not easy, but Slippery Rock helped to prepare me.
What types of recognition, awards, honors or even activities have you been involved in?
Last year was my first year as a teacher, so I have not had many recognitions or awards given to me yet, but I hope with all of my hard work I continue to grow as a teacher and have opportunities to gain recognitions. However, while I was at Slippery Rock I was involved in various activities and received different awards for honors and such. Being involved at Slippery Rock gave me skills and confidence to go out into the real world.

What SRU experience or faculty influenced you and in what way?
Traveling to different countries over Spring breaks helped me to understand how the education system works in other countries and be able to see and experience a little bit of it as well. All of the faculty in both the Special Education and Early Childhood departments helped me grow and made me the teacher that I am today.

What else can you tell us about your success story that SRU students could learn from?
Never give up on your dreams no matter how difficult it might be. With the new state tests and the constant obstacles that always seem to pop up, just keeping following your heart and don't be afraid to ask for help.

No comments:

Post a Comment