Thursday, February 4, 2016

Ryan Lubin


I graduated from SRU in May 2014 as a Secondary Education English major.

All of my work has been through the New Castle Area School District - I served as a long-term substitute for the school's Behavioral Modification Aide, tutored students for the Keystone Literature Exam, and now I am hired on full-time teaching basic and honors 10th grade English.

I mainly prepared for my interview by assimilating myself into the culture and community of New Castle. All of my career as an educator has been in this outstanding district. I completed my field practicum at New Castle Jr./Sr. High School in the fall of 2013, completed my student teaching there in the spring of 2014, returned for the 2014-2015 school year substituting and tutoring, and now am a teacher at the Jr./Sr. High School for the 2015-2016 school year. By putting all of my focus into a district I cared deeply about, I was able to truly prepare for the interview and show the Board of School Directors and administrators that I want to dedicate my life to serving their students and community. I also took the time to go above and beyond to demonstrate my organizational skills and preparedness - I had mini portfolios professionally made and distributed one to each Board member, administrator, and teacher sitting in on my interview (and in that mini portfolio was a link to my full online portfolio), I passed around my Keystone Literature Tutoring binder for them to all look through, and I had my P.O.E.T poster board displayed as well. The P.O.E.T poster board was something we made at the end of student teaching to show our SRU department that we impacted student learning. As mine was fully dedicated to New Castle and had pictures of me working with New Castle Students, etc.

I think it's subjective to say what I have done well at my job, but I will say this - our open house was Wednesday night, and I received a lot of praise from the parents and guardians in attendance. My favorite comment was from the mother of a student who receives learning support. She said to me, "My son always hated English. Not only are you his favorite teacher this year, but English is now his favorite subject."

While I student taught, I assistant-directed the 2014 musical, Footloose, as well as edited the 2014 Yearbook and chaperoned the band trip to New York City. During my year subbing and tutoring, I once again assisted with the musical, tutored for our new C.A.N.E.S after-school program, and chaperoned the Senior Class trip to Cedar Point. This year I am one of the leaders of the Senior High's tutoring program. My continuous hard work for this district has been recognized and commended by my fellow teachers, my administrators, and the Board of School Directors.

During my time at SRU, I was the President of Musical Theatre Society for 2 years. Not only was this the most rewarding part of my college experience, but it gave me invaluable opportunities for my future as an educator. It taught me a lot about leadership, working with others, patience, discipline, and teamwork. It also helped prepare me for helping with the musicals at New Castle. I had many professors I accredit my success to, but I really would like to give a special thanks to Dr. Cindy LaCom. Without her guidance and assistance, I would not be where I am right now.

The best advice I could give would be to remember that everything happens for a reason, and although your situation may be discouraging at the time, it will all work out. 2 years ago as I began my senior year, I would've never guessed that I would have a teaching position in a Pennsylvania Public School, let alone in a district that I care so deeply and passionately about.

No comments:

Post a Comment