Thursday, February 18, 2016

Kayla Cooke



What year did you graduate from SRU and what was your major?
I graduated from Slippery Rock this past May with a Bachelor's degree in Middle Level Mathematics Education. I also possess a Secondary Mathematics Certification. 

What jobs have you landed?

After graduating in May, I was a day-to-day substitute for both West Greene and Canon-McMillan school districts. Since then, I have been hired as a full-time seventh grade math teacher at Margaret Bell Miller Middle School within the Central Greene School District.

How did you prepare for the interview for the job you landed?

In preparation for my interviews, I made quite a few phone calls, texts, and visits. My high school principal took the time to sit down with me and answered questions that I prepared for him about the interview process and what administrators look for in candidates. He provided me with the list of interview questions the school district uses. I had numerous phone conversations with Dr. Jason Hilton about common interviews questions and various ways to stand out in an interview. I even contacted my cooperating teachers from student teaching asking them for advice and questions. All of my resources helped me to walk to into my interview confident and relaxed.


What have you done well at that job?

Landing my first full-time job has been such a rewarding, yet stressful experience. I have been able to bring fun and exciting ideas and techniques into my classroom. From simple changes such as desk arrangements to using a combination of teaching styles, I have received many compliments from my colleagues and students. I have been able to make connections with my students allowing them to become comfortable with the my new face in the building.

What types of recognition, awards, honors or even activities have you been involved in?
At SRU I was involved in many organizations and clubs. Most were education or mathematics related that provided me with opportunities such as attending state level conferences and taking part in mock interviews.

What SRU experience or faculty influenced you and in what way?
Dr. Jason Hilton has been the best resource a college graduate could ask for. This summer, I interviewed at a few different school districts, one of which I was required to teach a math lesson in front of the administration. He was always only a phone call away providing me with sample interview questions, answers that would help me to stand out, lesson ideas, and encouraging words when things did not pan out in my favor.

What else can you tell us about your success story that SRU students could learn from?

Network and do not give up! At the conferences I attended, I was able to exchange emails with local administrators. Some of which would email me when a position in their district opened. Also, do not be afraid to add your name to the substitute lists in a few school districts. Education in such a competitive field. Having that extra experience, even if it is just for a month, can really go a long way. My administrators were pleased to hear that although I just graduated from college, I was eager enough to get myself in the field literally the Monday after graduation. The faculty at Slippery Rock are truly wonderful people. Do not hesitate to ask questions. It is their job to help you!

No comments:

Post a Comment