Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Nicole Thompson

What has your career path been like?
I graduated from SRU in 1995 after doing my student teaching in Dublin - an experience I still treasure/value. I taught in public schools in Western PA for the next few years and then moved to North Carolina. When I moved to North Carolina, I started teaching in Independent/Private Schools. After teaching in NC for about 10 years, I moved into administration. Currently, I am the Director of the Lower School at Duke School in Durham, North Carolina. Duke School is a progressive school, serving 500 students focused on project based learning. (www.DukeSchool.org)

What is the most rewarding part of your job?
Being with great kids is the best part of my job! I love watching them grow, evolve and learn -- what could be me rewarding!
How did your experience at Slippery Rock University help you find your first position after graduation?
I think the power of sharing about my international student teaching experience was valuable. Also, I think I left SRU knowing that teaching was going to be hard work, but that it would be very rewarding as well.

What is your advice for future graduates?
Never stop being a learner! When I interview potential teaching candidates, I am most intrigued by those who are engaged in their own professional growth. Along those same lines, take advantage of all professional development opportunities that you can - engaging in discussion with other educators is essential for growth!

No comments:

Post a Comment