Tuesday, June 14, 2016

Laura Remaly

What has your career path been like?
I started my career in my chosen field (physical education/lifetime fitness) at Slippery Rock. I was a director of Wellness and Fitness in several large corporations for over 15 years. In addition to providing comprehensive wellness and fitness services to corporate employees, I trained and managed quite a few new and upcoming fitness professionals. I also served on several Wellness industry executive boards and was a featured speaker nationwide.
Now I own my own business with my husband (Bicycle retail store). I still work in the Wellness Industry as the director of Wellness Coaching for a small company and I also teach spin classes for fun!

What is the most rewarding part of your job?
Helping people and making a difference in other people's lives

What types of recognition, awards, honors or activities have you been involved in? 
I was named as an officer to several state, regional and international boards of wellness/fitness associations. Named a "Outstanding Fellow" by the Association for Worksite Health Promotion. Also, recently named to the SRU Sports Hall of Fame (2015).

How did your experience at Slippery Rock University help you find your first position after graduation?

I received an excellent educational background to qualify for the job and also was able to secure an internship in a Corporation to get my foot in the door.

What is your advice for future graduates?

Persevere! Don't take no for an answer. Always present yourself professionally - even if you think no one is watching. Work hard. Make yourself indispensable. Get to work on time- (on time is 10 minutes before you should begin work, not exactly when you should start). Don't be late! There are very few acceptable excuses for being late. Enjoy your job. If you don't enjoy it, find another one.

No comments:

Post a Comment