Thursday, June 16, 2016

Lisa Hoffman

What has your career path been like? 
My name is Lisa Hoffman and I had originally completed a degree in Criminal Justice, but throughout that entire period of schooling I found myself volunteering and being drawn to opportunities working with children. I chose to go back to school at SRU as a Post-Bacc for Elementary Education and Special Education. Throughout my time at SRU, I worked part-time with the Grove City YMCA's child care department in their School-Age program. Upon graduation in 2012, I was able to transition into the position of School-Age and Day Camp Site Director. I remained in that position for two years, but when my family grew by two with the birth of our twins I chose to step down and pursue an opportunity with Keystone SMILES AmeriCorps at George Junior Republic in Grove City, PA as an AmeriCorps tutor in reading and math. My experience there was more than I could have hoped for and I really enjoyed the one-on-one teaching opportunities that I had with the youth as well as the teachers and other people that I met through the experience. I was offered a long-term substitute position at George Junior Republic upon the completion of my AmeriCorps term, but quickly realized that the particular classroom setting and age level was not where my heart was at during this time of life for my family. The Grove City YMCA gladly welcomed me back into my former position of School-Age Site Director and I know that this is where my calling as an educator is supposed to be.

What is the most rewarding part of your job?
The most rewarding part of this job is that I have the opportunity to watch and help the children grow sometimes from as early as six weeks old! Before having my own children, I felt like I had anywhere from 35 to 90 children of my own depending on the time of year! The trust that I have been able to build with the families over the years makes me feel good knowing that the parents can go to work each day knowing that their child is in good hands with us at the YMCA. Through the YMCA, I feel that I get the best of both worlds in the education field. I had a parent tell me once that her daughter asked to start taking an apple for her after school snack every day and when the mom asked her why, she said, "Because Miss Lisa eats one every day." It really warmed my heart knowing that I was having a positive influence on her because of the healthy choices that I was making in hopes of being a good role model for the children that we serve.

What types of recognition, awards, honors or activities have you been involved in? 
Through my volunteering with the youth sports programs within the YMCA, I earned the Youth Development Employee of the Year Award in 2011. Through my service with AmeriCorps, I was able to help bring a group of members to the YMCA to help ready a part of their playground for grass to be planted in order for the children to have an additional outdoor space to play in.

How did your experience at Slippery Rock University help you find your first position after graduation?
I feel that because I worked part-time with the YMCA during my years at SRU, I was able to apply many of the best practices that I learned through my classes and field experiences to what I was doing with the children at the YMCA. This allowed my supervisors to see that I had what it takes to transition into the School-Age Site Director position. I am still able to keep in touch with former professors and they have given me multiple resources to help me along the way.

What is your advice for future graduates? 
My advice would be to keep an open mind about the types of teaching opportunities that are available to you out there. I had big dreams of teaching in a traditional elementary classroom, but my love for the YMCA programs grew as I gave everything I had and learned more about what the programs do for the children and families who are a part of them. Give 100% to every opportunity that you have working with children throughout your time at SRU no matter if it is through a field experience in a traditional classroom setting where you are being graded or working part-time in a School-Age program to gain a little extra money through college. Treat these experiences the same because you are changing children's lives in both of them. Coming from personal experience, you may not be getting a grade for your part-time job outside of your college course load, but there are constantly people in the community, principals, custodians, and other teachers who are critiquing your ability to work with children and people in general and could make or break you in your future career search. Introduce yourself to everyone you meet and make people remember you for the positive changes that you have made for the children that you have served.

No comments:

Post a Comment