Tuesday, June 21, 2016

Melanie Hughes

What has your career path been like?
I graduated with my Bachelor’s Degree in Early, Elementary and Special Education December 17, 2011. As I was preparing for rehearsal, I received a call from Stafford County Public Schools in Stafford County VA offering me a job beginning January 2, 2012. I accepted the position as Early Childhood Special Education Teacher (ECSE) at Stafford County Head Start. I continue to work in that position today. I work with a set number of students with IEPs along with collaborate with teachers for students who may be struggling. Our Head Start has 2 Early Head Start Classrooms, 1 Early Head Start Home bound teacher, 4 three year old classrooms and 13 four year old classrooms. We also have an ECSE classroom that has a smaller number of students; we have a speech pathologist and my position as an ECSE Teacher/Primary Support Teacher. We work with children of a variety of disabilities as well as work with the families to help them with strategies to support their child at home. I also have the opportunity to do private behavior therapy since earning my Master’s Degree in Special Education/Autism from Slippery Rock in January 2015.

What is the most rewarding part of your job?
Having over 300 children ages 2-5 say good morning to me every morning, or saying they miss me when I am out of the building. I love hearing from Kindergarten teachers of children who I had worked extremely hard with on behaviors and academics, tell me that they are doing wonderful things in Kindergarten. I love hearing the parents express how much of a difference they see in their children throughout the year or two they are with me. It is a very challenging and exhausting job, but the rewards outweigh the challenges.

What types of recognition, awards, honors or activities have you been involved in?
I have received numerous compliments and staff awards from my coworkers. I have been able to participate in numerous seminars and conferences on various topics in Special Education all over the state of Virginia as well as present at seminars for conferences or my coworkers.
How did your experience at Slippery Rock University help you find your first position after graduation?
My experience at Slippery Rock has helped me more than just the "typical" ways of helping me find a position. Yes, I did mock interviews, had a great rock solid education, resume assistance, and job fairs. But more than that, my experience has made me break out of my introverted shell and be more outgoing, I received an honest and open education which allowed for me to learn from some of the best professors out there, I've learned to feel comfortable with who I am as a teacher. Slippery Rock has helped mold me into the teacher I am today. I cannot imagine where I would be without my Slippery Rock Education.

What is your advice for future graduates?
Be flexible and willing to relocate. ENJOY LIFE!

No comments:

Post a Comment