Tuesday, November 24, 2015

Shanna Lengner



What year did you graduate from SRU and what was your major? 

I graduated from SRU in May of 2013. I majored in Elementary Education. After a few months I went back to SRU for graduate school. In January of 2015 I graduated with my Masters in Special Education birth- grade 8. 

What jobs have you landed?

At the beginning of the 2014/2015 school year I taught Kindergarten for 6 weeks in the Hermitage School District. Then I co-taught a first grade classroom for two weeks, where I was asked to remain for the rest of the school year. This school year 2015/2016 I was hired full time to teach Kindergarten again within the Hermitage School District.

How did you prepare for the interview for the job you landed?


I began preparing before I knew I would have an interview, I wanted to be ahead of the game so I reached out to past professors. I asked for tips and had them review my resume. Then I asked the principal and other teaching professionals within the school to give me tips on my teaching practices and resume. Finally when I landed my interview all I needed to worry about was taking everything I had already put together and presenting myself to the best of my ability. 


What have you done well at that job?
I've been able to form wonderful relationships with my grade level team. Each of us bring something unique to the table and I feel very lucky to have become a part of such a supportive and experienced group of educators. 


What types of recognition, awards, honors or even activities have you been involved in? 
I have been involved in so many great outreach programs through my district. Gearing up for Kindergarten, Get to Know Artman Day, charity events benefiting students, Success by Six, and many more to come.

What SRU experience or faculty influenced you and in what way?
There have been many facility members at SRU that have been influential in my educational experience. Two professors stand out from the rest though, Dr. Marilyn Yensick and Dr. Jeremy Lynch. Dr. Yensick was my adviser and block 3 professor, she was always so kind and encouraging. I use so many to the techniques she taught us regarding Social Studies in my classroom today. Dr. Lynch was my student teaching adviser, he lead me through a very challenging yet rewarding 16 weeks teaching Kindergarten.

What else can you tell us about your success story that SRU students could learn from?

Get involved both at SRU and during your teaching experiences. Volunteer for as many extra programs the schools offer. It's a great experience and something you can add to your resume. More important than getting involved remember to love every single student you have the opportunity to cross paths with, you'll never know what they go home to but can always be someone they look forward to seeing everyday at school.

No comments:

Post a Comment