Wednesday, November 11, 2015

Tesin Gnalian


What year did you graduate from SRU and what was your major?
I graduated from Slippery Rock University in May 2014 with a Bachelor’s in Early Childhood and Special Education.

What jobs have you landed?
I just started my second year of teaching in Maryland at James E. Duckworth Regional School in Prince George's County Public Schools. I am a special education teacher in an elementary M.O.V.E (Mobility Opportunities Via Education) classroom. My school serves students with moderate to severe disabilities ages 5 through 21.

How did you prepare for the interview for the job you landed?
I’ve always wanted to be a teacher so the thought of having the opportunity to finally become one was so exciting but also really nerve wrecking. I entered my interview with my teaching portfolio, letters of recommendation, and resume in hand but what my interviewer really wanted to hear and know was something about me that couldn’t be shown on paper. So I took a deep breath and spoke straight from the heart (cheesy I know, but it worked!).I spoke about the incredible experiences I had at SRU during class, field, student teaching, and my days at Camp High Hopes and the Woodlands Foundation. I shared that it was through those experiences that I learned that I wanted to be a teacher for students with special needs.
For anyone who is getting ready for a big teaching interview, allow your interviewer to see your eyes light up when you talk about your future students and classroom; let them hear the excitement in your voice when you mention your ideas for lessons and projects, but above all, be yourself and let your passion do the talking.

What have you done well at that job?
A little more than year ago I walked into an empty classroom that was filled with potential and possibilities. I knew that this would be an exciting time of change, challenge, growth and reflection but teaching has taken me on a whirlwind of an adventure. My team and I work together to create opportunities for our students to be as independent as possible. I was able to see one of my students walk independently for the first time and two of my other students walk on and off their bus without a stroller. Since a majority of my students are nonverbal, I do my best to create opportunities for them to communicate with their peers and teachers using picture communication symbols and voice output devices. I also try to embed functional life skills into instruction. I took the position thinking that I was there to teach students; little did I know that they would be the ones teaching me. Now I can say that this once empty classroom is now filled with love and learning. My students are making progress everyday—We celebrate the little and big accomplishments. My students have taught me about what patience, love, and strength looks and feels like. I am very proud to call myself their teacher and them my students.

What types of recognition, awards, honors or even activities have you been involved in?
I loved being involved at SRU! I had the opportunity to be apart of the Green & White Society, SGA, Community Service Corps, Rock Catholic, and the President’s Commission of Disability Issues. I completed the Compass Leadership program and received some scholarships through the SRU alumni association. I also was the 1st Annual Dr. Mark Mraz Memorable Moment Student Essay Winner and shared a narrative of my student teaching experience at the 2014 National Student Teaching & Supervision Conference.

What SRU experience or faculty influenced you and in what way?
I cannot even begin to describe how grateful I am for the education I received at Slippery Rock University. SRU gave me such a diverse amount of knowledge, skills, and experience that allowed me to pinpoint exactly what kind of teacher I wanted to be. Shout-outs to Mrs. Badgett, Dr. Merhaut, Dr. Katsafanas, and Dr. Erickson! I can remember sitting in each of their classes, listening to their stories and experiences feeling so inspired by them and their passion for what they do…I really have to thank them for instilling that passion for special education in me.

What else can you tell us about your success story that SRU students could learn from?
Don’t be afraid to move outside your comfort zone! I never thought I would ever leave Pittsburgh but now here I am in Maryland 300 miles away from home. Saying, “see you soon” to a place and people I know and love was by no means easy but with the help of my family and friends I was able to make the move and pursue a career I really wanted. A year later and I have no regrets. I love my students and wouldn’t trade the experiences or memories I’ve gained for anything!

No comments:

Post a Comment