Thursday, November 12, 2015

Allyson Graham


What year did you graduate from SRU and what was your major?
I graduated in May 2014 with a Bachelor’s degree in both Special Education Pre-K-8 and Early Childhood Pre-K-4.

What jobs have you landed?
My first year out of college, I landed a job at Urban Pathways K-5 College Charter School as a second grade Teacher’s Assistant. I was then offered a job as a Learning Support teacher for the following year.

How did you prepare for the interview for the job you landed?
First of all, I researched the school and specific information about charter schools. Charter schools are a lot different than public schools, so it’s important to be knowledgeable about those differences. Also, I created a flip book outlining how I personally use the common core standards, collaborate, create a positive classroom environment, and use data to drive instruction. Administrators appreciate a condensed version of a portfolio. Finally, during my experience as a Teacher’s Assistant, I had the opportunity to take over the responsibilities of the Learning Support teacher during her maternity leave. Using what I already knew about working in an urban setting with students with special needs helped me get my foot in the door for the open Special Education position the following year.

What have you done well at that job?
I was able to build and cultivate relationships with all of the students throughout the school. I showed the ability to communicate with parents by making and participating in phone calls, conferences, and parent engagement events. I have also embraced the school’s Leader in Me philosophy by learning the habits and instilling them in all the students. Finally, I have shown the ability to teach all subjects in a variety of ways.

What types of recognition, awards, honors or even activities have you been involved in?
I was involved in several clubs while attending Slippery Rock. I would definitely recommend getting involved as much as possible. It’s a great way to build your resume and network with others. I was a member of Sigma Pi Epsilon Delta Special Ed Honorary, Kappa Delta Pi, National Science Teachers Association, and the Early Childhood Club.

What SRU experience or faculty influenced you and in what way?
I was fortunate enough to have Robert Snyder for my Math and Science block my junior year at Slippery Rock. He provided me with several great resources to engage students. He keeps in contact with many of his students upon graduation. If I ever need advice or more information about a topic, I know I can count on him!

What else can you tell us about your success story that SRU students could learn from?
I was really hesitant at first about accepting a position as Teacher’s Assistant my first year out of college. However, I was still excited to land a full time position. I collaborated with my head teacher and co-taught with her the entire time, which was a great learning experience. I am very fortunate that I was offered a position as a Learning Support teacher the following year. Hard work pays off! Finding a teaching job is challenging, but it’s definitely not impossible. Don’t expect to land your dream job right out of college. Be open to any opportunity and use that to help you get your foot in the door. Finally, apply everywhere and everywhere. Take any interview you get, even if you aren’t sure you want the job. Having experience interviewing is crucial. Have an optimistic outlook and you will succeed!

No comments:

Post a Comment