Monday, September 14, 2020

Tori Warren



1. What is your educational background and what positions have you held?

I graduated from SRU in May 2019 with a bachelor's in Early Childhood Education and Special Education. Currently, I am in my second year teaching in Pasco County, Florida.  I teach third grade there!


2. Name one SRU experience, in general or specific to the field, that you will never forget and explain why.

One of my most unforgettable experiences from SRU is when I got to go to Spain to teach! I taught pre-K for several days in Spain which was one of the most amazing things I have ever done. Those amazing 4-year-olds knew English and Spanish better than I did.


3. Name an SRU faculty that had a positive influence on you and explain why.

One of my favorite SRU memories is when I got to meet Dr. Tours for the first time with her rolling cart while we were kicked out of McKay for construction my first semester junior year. I never expected to have such a bond with a professor and she invested so much in me and my education. And she continues to do so to this day!


4. What initially peaked your interest in pursuing a degree in education?

I had always known I had wanted to be a teacher since before I was even in school. What made me decide Elementary Education is because at that age students are so fearless and willing to learn.


5. What is the most rewarding aspect of your job?

The most rewarding thing for me is when some of my 'fun friends' make good choices for our classroom. The bonds you have with some of your more 'fun' students are (for me at least) one of the strongest in the classroom. Being there for them is one of the best feelings in the world.  Third grade involves a lot of growing up and it is so rewarding to see my friends grow with their SEL (Social Emotional Learning).


6. What makes a great teacher?

A great teacher does not think that they have it all figured out. The more comfortable you get with your standards and curriculum the more new techniques and methods you should be trying. A great teacher isn't whose classroom is the cutest or whose class is the quietest. It is whose kids are most engaged, and the teacher who is trying their hardest for their students. I don't think anyone should ever be comfortable teaching; you should always be trying new things. Not to mention continuing your own professional development. There is no such thing as a perfect teacher. As a great teacher, we learn and grow just like our students!


No comments:

Post a Comment