Tuesday, September 8, 2020

Lauren Vatalare

 

1. What is your educational background and what positions have you held?

I graduated from Slippery Rock University in December of 2019 with a dual degree in Early Childhood PK-4 and Special Education K-8 with a minor in Psychology. I am currently an instructor at a Head Start in Beaver County.


2. Name one SRU experience, in general or specific to the field, that you will never forget and explain why.

I will never forget my student teaching experience where I learned how to be the teacher I am today. SRU provided me with all of the materials and experiences to learn everything I know today. With each observation, I was given feedback on how to improve my teaching skills.


3. Name an SRU faculty that had a positive influence on you and explain why.

One professor who had a positive influence on me was my supervisor for student teaching, Dr. Tours. I had her in several other courses that I had taken at SRU.  In all of the courses, she always took the initiative to accommodate or reteach a concept. Dr. Tours was able to build a positive relationship with me to where she was able to know me, as a student, and how I was able to learn to the fullest. She continued to help me become the teacher I am today as I was in Block 2 as well as student teaching. We were able to build a positive relationship to where she continues to reach out to me to this day to help me with my current job.


4. What initially peaked your interest in pursuing a degree in education?

Initially, I was a psychology major taking an abnormal disorders class. In this class I learned a lot about different mental and physical disorders/disabilities. I knew that I wanted to be with the children all day and not just once a week/month. I wanted to watch them grow and grasp new concepts. I wanted to get to know them and be there every step of the way in their journey. With education, I have the capability to help my students become who they are today. 


5. What is the most rewarding aspect of your job? 

The most rewarding aspect of my job is being able to see my students make progress and understand the concepts being taught. No matter how long it takes or how small of a progression they make, I look forward to being able to go through that experience with them.


6. What makes a great teacher?

A great teacher is one who continues to find ways to teach students at all levels and builds relationships with them. It is important that students feel safe in your classroom and can trust you, the teacher, to protect and teach them.


No comments:

Post a Comment