Monday, September 28, 2020

Autumn Bender

1. What is your educational background and what positions have you held?

I graduated from Slippery Rock University in May 2018 with a degree in both Early Childhood Education PreK-4 and Special Education PreK-8. I am currently pursuing a Master’s of Special Education with an Emphasis in Autism from Slippery Rock University. After graduating, I was a substitute teacher for East Penn and Parkland School Districts. In May 2019, I got my first full time teaching position as a Middle School Classroom Teacher at the Vanguard School in Malvern, Pennsylvania. The Vanguard School is an approved private school that provides individualized intervention and instruction to students with autism, emotional disturbances, developmental disabilities, and speech-language deficits.


2. Name one SRU experience, in general or specific to the field, that you will never forget and explain why.

During my time at Slippery Rock University, there were many experiences that I will never forget. My four years at Slippery Rock were honestly the best years of my life. One thing that I will never forget is my memories with CRU. Through CRU, I met some of my life-long friends that continue to support and encourage me. I loved having a close-knit group of people that could always count on. I also had the opportunity to spend a summer in Ocean City, MD. This allowed me to step out of my comfort zone, gain confidence, and meet people from all over the country and the world.


3. Name an SRU faculty that had a positive influence on you and explain why.

SRU is full of phenomenal faculty. One faculty member that had a positive influence on me was Dr. Lynch. He was my academic advisor for my four years at Slippery Rock. He had an inspiring passion about teaching and would always go out of his way for his students. Dr. Lynch also taught me effective and different strategies to manage my classroom. I still use the same strategies in my classroom today.

Another faculty member that had a positive influence on me was Dr. Bieniek. He was passionate about teaching and used real-life experiences in his lectures. His class helped me to realize my love for working with children with autism and influenced me to become a Verbal Behavior teacher.


4. What initially peaked your interest in pursuing a degree in education?

A relative of mine was diagnosed with a learning disability. A teacher told him that he was “stupid and unteachable” in front of his whole class. He would come home crying and refuse to go to school, because of his teacher. I wanted to become a teacher because I never want someone to go through what he went through. I wanted to prove that everyone can be taught and everyone can achieve greatness in life.


5. What do you love most about teaching?

I love that I can change the world and create a positive impact on the world around me. As a teacher, I can give my students the necessary skills that they need to be successful, independent, and active members of their community. By giving them these skills, I can change their life for the better. I cannot wait to look back years from now and see the impact that I had on each of my students’ lives. 


6. What makes a great teacher?

A great teacher always puts the students first. They make sure that they do whatever they need to ensure success in the classroom. They build strong and positive relationships with their students. Students learn best when they feel comfortable and welcomed. Great teachers know their students and differentiate their instruction to ensure that each student is learning in the way that they learn best! They incorporate student interests in their lessons to make lessons engaging and fun. Most importantly, a great teacher speaks up and advocates for their students, especially when students cannot do it themselves.


No comments:

Post a Comment