Thursday, October 26, 2017

William Klumph

 
What has been your experience as a professional teacher?
I worked as a substitute teacher for a little over a year. I loved it, and the students I taught responded to me in a positive manner no matter which school district I worked in.

When I walked into the classroom for the first time, I felt at home -- as if this was where I needed to be. The staff at the eight or nine different schools I worked in were professional and helpful.

What is one positive experience that you had with a student?
There was an opening for a history teacher at one school I worked in. Several students wrote a petition and circulated it on my behalf. I did not ask them to do that. At another school, a teacher told the student she would not be there the next day. The students wanted to know who the substitute teacher would be. The teacher told them I would be the substitute, and the students started to cheer. When the teacher asked them why they were cheering, they said, “We just like him.”

What advice would you give current college students who are preparing to be teachers?
Current education students must have knowledge of the subjects they will be teaching and a love for working with young people. They have to be able to distinguish if their position as a teacher is a job, or a calling."

What is one thing you learned from Slippery rock University’s teacher preparation program that you used in your profession?
Get the student involved in what you are teaching. Have them participate in various activities, as well as competition among classroom groups.

What attracted you to teaching?
My sister, my youngest brother, and his wife were all teachers. This along with my desire to help others grow and expand their horizons led me to this choice.

What makes a great teacher?
The ability to hold the students' attention and the ability to make them want to know more.

No comments:

Post a Comment