Thursday, November 2, 2017

Carly Nalepa


What is your educational background and what positions have you held?

I graduated from Slippery Rock University in December of 2016 with a Bachelor’s degree in Early Childhood Education PreK-4. I currently teach 1st grade in Polk County, Florida. I was hired mid-year in January 2017, so this is my second year at Scott Lake Elementary School.

What is the most rewarding aspect of your job?
This is the most rewarding job for so many reason. Every day you get to watch the "light bulb" go off on your students while they are learning how to become better readers, writers, mathematicians, and scientists. How lucky are we as teachers to be able to sculpt the minds of the future? To me, one the of most rewarding parts is when a student looks at you with the biggest smile after working out a tough problem and shouts “I did it!!”

What advice would you give to current students who are enrolled in the teacher preparation program, and to SRU students generally?
If you are currently enrolled in the teacher program, just know it is the best decision you will ever make! Listen to everything your professors say. They are experts and they are sharing their knowledge with us, so take advantage of them! Plan ahead! Use your curriculum map to plan each semester. This will help you stay focused on your end goal! When you do your field work and are out in the schools be proud to be a Slippery Rock student! Make connections, smile, and be friendly to everybody!

My biggest advice to all SRU students is to appreciate every little moment! Not to sound cliché, but your time here will truly be the best years of your life! Never say no to a good opportunity and take advantage of everything SRU has to offer. If you are having a rough day, I suggest getting a breakfast bowl from Elia in Weisenfluh. They were my go-to!

Name an SRU experience or faculty that had a positive influence on you and explain why.
One experience for me that has really stuck with me is the entire student teaching process. I learned so much being hands-on in the school. I was placed at such a wonderful school with so many awesome teachers, many of which were SRU alumni. My advisor for student teaching was Dr. Anne Slanina. She was my lifesaver in many ways. We bonded over our common hometown of Youngstown, Ohio. She is so passionate about helping teacher candidates.

Another faculty member that greatly impacted me was Dr. Williams. She was my academic advisor. Every time I walked into her office she greeted me by my name and knew exactly where we left off from our previous meetings. She always knew where I stood academically and would stay after hours to answer my questions and motivate me to keep moving forward.

What makes a great teacher?
A great teacher is motivated by children. A great teacher not only cares about students academically, but also cares about their well-being. A great teacher is a role model. A great teacher learns from their mistakes, is flexible, and is always learning new things. They hold their students to a high standard because they know that every child is capable of AMAZING things.

1 comment: