Monday, November 13, 2017

John Vannoy


What is your educational background from SRU and what positions have you held?
I earned my Bachelor of Science in Secondary Education from Slippery Rock University. I began my teaching career in the Sharon City School District where I served as a social studies teacher, athletic director, and assistant principal. I then went to Sharpsville as the middle school principal, transitioned to the Director of Student Services, and am currently the Acting Superintendent. 


What is the most rewarding aspect of your job?
The most rewarding part of my job is the interactions with our staff and students. We are blessed to have excellent staff at all levels and a tremendous student body. Our educational community is also extremely passionate about all facets of our school district.


What advice would you give to current students who are enrolled in the teacher preparation program, and to SRU students generally?
My advice to students not only in the College of Education but the SRU students in general would be to set out on a daily basis to set yourself apart from those people that you will ultimately compete against for jobs. Every day and each experience is of the upmost importance in building one’s portfolio and job related experiences. I would also encourage them to be lifelong learners.

Name an SRU experience or faculty that had a positive influence on you and explain why.
My SRU experiences have covered several generations. Both my wife and I attended SRU. Our oldest son Matthew is a SRU graduate, and our youngest son Michael will graduate this coming spring. 


Two individuals stand out in helping make Slippery Rock a great education experience. One is from my time as a student and one is someone that I currently interact with on a professional level. Dr. Richard von Mayrhauser was one of my history professors. He helped to foster both my love of history and aspirations of being a future teacher. The other is Dr. Herb Hunt. Dr. Hunt served as my mentor when I began as an administrator. I continue to benefit from Dr. Hunt’s expertise through his HH Education Events.

What makes a great teacher?
A great teacher needs to have the passion to want to work with children regardless of age. The impact of great teachers extend way beyond the classroom walls. They are individuals who truly leave an indelible impression on the lives of their students. Great teachers do what they do because of their commitment to the world of education. The mantra of a great teacher is that teaching is not a job, but rather one’s life passion.


No comments:

Post a Comment