Wednesday, October 11, 2017

Jessika Fontaine






Where are you teaching? What subjects and grades?
I am currently teaching at Freedom High School in Freedom, PA. As a Special Education teacher, I have fulfilled many roles throughout the eight years of teaching such as: Learning Support Science, English, and Study Skills. For 7 years, I have been a co-teacher in the 9th grade classes for English, Biology, History, Algebra and Computers. However, I took last year off from co-teaching to open and develop the Life Skills program within the high school. 

What have you done particularly well in your position?
If I had to say what I have done well within my position, it is only from what others tell me. This includes my IEP writing skills, as well as making connections and building relationships with the students. 

What advice would you give to current students who are enrolled in the teacher preparation program?
The advice I would give is to make the most out of your practicum experiences. You will learn the most from working with the students and other teachers. Don't be afraid to take risks and make mistakes -- it happens to all teachers. Knowing how to turn mistakes into teachable moments is what students will remember most. 

What SRU experience or faculty positively influenced you, and in what way?
Dr. Rose and Dr. Wells are the two professors that positively influenced me the most within undergraduate and graduate classes. Both of these wonderful ladies never gave up on me and always pushed me to my limit. Just when I thought I had mastered a concept to the best of my ability, both of them would always pose questions that made me think even harder. At times it drove me crazy and made me frustrated, but in the end, I can't thank them enough for continuing to push me farther than I knew I could go. They saw that there was more potential in me than I ever saw. 

What makes a great teacher?
A great teacher is one who listens to their students. By listening, you'll learn so much and it will make you a better teacher for years to come because you will have earned trust and respect from your students. They will be more willing to comply and be a better student which, in the end, helps them become better people. By listening, you will change the world one student at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment