Tuesday, October 17, 2017

Matt Vannoy


 

Where has your career trajectory been like? What is your position now?
I am currently an assistant principal at my alma mater, Sharon Middle/High School in Sharon, PA. I supervise our middle school grades in addition to other responsibilities. After graduating Summa cum Laude with a degree in Secondary Education from SRU in May of 2009, I spent the first 8 years of my career as a Social Studies teacher and athletic director in two different Pennsylvania districts. I also consult with organizations on a range of topics and sit on several boards and committees for the City of Sharon and other Mercer County organizations. I did graduate work in Special Education at SRU and completed my M. Ed at Westminster College.

What have you done particularly well as an educator?
As an educator, I have always done a nice job of being involved in the school and greater community. This has allowed me to develop positive relationships with students, families, and community stakeholders. I also believe I have done a good job of developing a positive culture of trust, success, caring and improvement in all my positions whether it be in the classroom, running an athletic department, or running a building. I believe that it takes a team to build a great school. When something extra needs to be done, if you can do it, you do it.

What advice would you give to current students who are enrolled in SRU’s teacher preparation program – and to college students in general?
In the past, I have spoken at SRU to aspiring teachers and rising high school seniors who were interested in SRU's College of Education and my advice has always been to be involved in the university at large as much as possible and to develop relationships with as many people as you can whether it be professors, support staff, or fellow students. At SRU, I was a Community Assistant and involved in a number of other activities. I rarely passed up an opportunity to do something extra or see a guest speaker on campus. All of these experiences are still beneficial to me. A few quick tips:
  • Get to know your professors. A professor once told me that nothing bad ever came from stopping by a professor's office during office hours. That is correct! Any extra interactions you can have will lead to extra advice, opportunities, and knowledge that will benefit you in the long run professionally and personally.
  • "Get on the bus." This is a saying from one of my former professors. The bus is leaving with or without you every day, so you might as well get on and see where it takes you. Otherwise, you will just be stuck at the station. This is not in reference to the happy bus! Rather, it is a reference to taking advantage of the opportunities that college life gives you and making the most of them.
  • Always do your best. Put in the extra mile on assignments and tests. It will pay off for you in the long run.
  • Be involved. The more you are involved, the more experiences you will gain that will make you well-rounded. These experiences will be applicable to many different aspects of your adult life.
  • People will always try to bring you down, many times without cause. Don't let them! Try your best to bring them up to your level. Be positive even when it is hard.
  • Be the first believer in whatever you do. If you don't truly believe in what you are trying to do, why should or would anyone else? Belief, passion, energy, and positivity are always contagious.

What SRU experience or faculty positively influenced you, and in what way?
From the College of Education, Dr. John Hicks and former assistant dean Dr. Herb Hunt are easily two of the best. Words cannot do justice as to how highly I think of those two. I still get the opportunity to work with Dr. Hunt through his HH Education Events workshops which shows you that sometimes the relationships you build in college continue to benefit you once you have graduated. Outside of the College of Education, I was influenced by Dr. John Craig and Dr. David Dixon from the History Department as well as Dr. Patrick Burkhart from the Geology Department. All of these guys where influential in developing my teaching style and now in what I look for from teachers in my building. If we all taught as passionately and effectively as them, we would all be better off. As far as SRU experiences, my experiences in Residence Life as a Community Assistant were very positive. This allowed me to discover even more ways to get involved in the greater university community and get to know people I still work with and keep in touch with today. 

What makes a great teacher?
A great teacher is one who is highly involved in the school and community in which they teach. Great teachers also care about their students and seek to develop positive relationships with students, families and community stakeholders. Great teachers are also lifelong learners and are flexible, passionate, and innovative with what they teach. Last but not least, great teachers are leaders and problem solvers who look for solutions to challenges and disappointments instead of huddling with negative people and complaining. These teachers always put students first.

No comments:

Post a Comment