Monday, April 24, 2017

Nicole Weaver



Where are you teaching? What subjects and grades?
I'm currently teaching at North East Carolina Prep School in Tarboro, North Carolina. I teach 4th grade math and science. 

What advice would you give to current students who are enrolled in the teacher preparation program?
Be ready for anything while you are teaching, whether it is something about lesson plans or about your students. You will learn a lot about yourself and as a teacher. Don't be afraid to go outside of your comfort zone. It could the best thing that you have ever done. Good luck!

What is one positive experience that you have had with a student?
I have a student who is very quiet and has a difficult time in school, so I sat down with her mom to address the issue. The parent said that she does whatever she can to help her child, and that her child doesn't stop talking at home. This took me by surprise because the student does not participate often in school. One day, we were working with out basic multiplication facts and she raised her hand. Of course, I called on her -- and she told me the correct answer! I was so excited, so I asked her another question and she answered it correctly again! Then, I had the students get on teams and everyone wanted her on their teams. It was the sweetest thing. Every time we do anything with practicing our basic facts now, she is the one who everyone wants on their team.

What makes a great teacher?
I think caring for each student in a special way makes a great teacher. Of course knowing the content is important, but having the respect from each student is key. If you don't have the respect from students, it can be difficult for them to care about learning the content. Show the students that you care. Then, the students will show you more respect and want to learn from your class. Have lessons that interest the students and make it fun for them to go to school every day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment