Monday, April 10, 2017

Alison Packard


 


Where are you teaching? What subjects and grades?
I'm currently teaching at Bradford Area High School in Bradford, PA. I teach 10th grade World Studies II and 12th grade American History/PA Government/Economics 

What advice would you give to current students who are enrolled in the teacher preparation program?
Be prepared to not feel prepared. In your first job, it'll feel like you're on a different planet! That's okay. Roll with it! You have all the tools you need to figure everything out. Constantly remind yourself why you wanted to be a teacher in the first place: you do it for your students!

What is one positive experience that you have had with a student?
It is so hard to pick just one example! On the first day of class, I asked my students what their favorite subject was and a few students in one class said history. So I asked what their favorite era of history was. It led to a discussion and one of the boys said, "I don't really like history. I have never been very good at it." Well just the other day he said, "Miss Packard, I really love this class! You let us talk through our questions and figure out what you're talking about. I guess I really do like history." It was great for me to hear him feel like he can succeed in a class that he usually struggles in. We do jump down some crazy rabbit holes in that class, but it makes it worth taking the time to talk through their questions to make them feel like they can succeed and like they are smart.

What makes a great teacher?
Great teachers do things to stand out to students and keep their attention. For example, my students made me a throne of books and I sit up there at least once a class! You do extra things like take the time to ask about how your students' days are. You give up your prep period sometimes to talk to that student who is really having a rough time. Teaching is not always about your content, but it is always about your students.

No comments:

Post a Comment