Monday, April 17, 2017

Colin Berkley



Where are you teaching? What subjects and grades?
I currently teach grade 11 US and Virginia History and grade 10 World History II at Stafford High School in Stafford, Virginia. I am also a co-sponsor of the Interact club within the school.

What advice would you give to current students who are enrolled in the teacher preparation program?
Take advantage and ask as many questions as possible during your field and student teaching experiences. After you get a full-time job, it becomes harder to get a chance to go into someone else's classroom and see how they teach. Take as many notes as possible about how that teacher taught their lessons. I use some lessons that Dr. Hilton gave in a few of his classes and they always go over well. Learn as much as you can from experienced teachers. 

What is one positive experience that you have had with a student?
In the middle of a lesson, a student raised her hand and asked if I love history. I told her "yes" and she replied "I can tell. You always seem so excited about history." It made me happy to realize that someone noticed that history can be exciting and hopefully that was being passed on to the class. 

What makes a great teacher?
A great teacher can put everything aside and be there 100% for the students. I have noticed that when I seem very engaged in a lesson or activity, the students seem engaged as well. If I slack, they slack. Students respond well to having a leader in the classroom. Also, always finding new ways to adapt and try to reach different types of students is helpful as well. I am always trying to do new activities in class so that they students do not come into class knowing exactly what we will be doing that day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment