Tuesday, April 25, 2017

Mason Strouse


Where are you teaching? What subjects and grades?
I teach in my hometown of Clearfield, PA at the Clearfield Area Elementary School as a 4th grade Learning Support teacher.  I co-teach English Language Arts and Math with three other 4th grade teachers.

What advice would you give to current students who are enrolled in the teacher preparation program?
At SRU, I was involved with programs through the education department, as well as other departments.  Of course you want to be involved in your own department, but you should also get involved with other activities that interest you.  For me, that was music. I was a member of the SRU Marching Pride, Concert and Chamber Choirs, and accompanist for Musical Theater Society.  I'd also recommend that while you are student teaching, participate in something outside of your classroom.  Help with a school play, volunteer with a club, tutor kids after school, or other activities that are offered.  As a teacher, there are so many extra things you can do to engage with your students.

What is one positive experience that you have had with a student?
Each one of my student has been unique and special to me.  I find the best way to have a positive impact is to be kind and caring to all students, even if they aren't yours.  When I'm in the hallways, I try to smile and seem positive. Many students notice this and will wave or say hello.  Now, just about each time I walk down the hall, I have kids waving to me, calling me by name, and saying hello.  With most of them, I don't even have a name to match their face!  But I know I've made a positive impact on that student, even if for just a moment.

What makes a great teacher?
A great teacher is someone who engages with their students, expects the best out of them, and makes them feel welcomed and supported in the classroom. To many kids, you are a superhero. Remember how you felt when you saw your teacher at the grocery store or the park? They should be just as proud of you as you are of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment