Sunday, April 30, 2023

Katie Windsheimer


1. What is your educational background and what positions have you held? Please include the current school district and grade/s. 

I am an SRU Grad with a Bachelors in Elementary and Special Education. I taught in Dillingham, Alaska for 2 1/2 years. I was a Migrant Tutor the first 6 months for grades K-5, the next year I moved into a first-grade teacher spot, and, because it was a small town, my last year I was a Special Education teacher for grades 3-6. I am currently in Bixby, Oklahoma and this is my second year at Bixby Public Schools as a Special Education Teacher with grades 4-6. 


2. Name one SRU experience, in general or specific to the field, that you will never forget and explain why. 

I can’t remember the class specifically, but it was a Special Education class with Dr. Beinick (I think?) and we did a lot of activities as if we had physical disabilities. I remember being sent out to see how accessible our campus was with wheelchairs, and I remember doing activities with blindfolds. This really stuck with me because it helps remind me every day what some students, and even adults, go through and the challenges they face everyday. 


3. Name an SRU faculty that had a positive influence on you and explain why.

 She wasn’t faculty when I was at SRU, but she was my Co-op for student teaching. Dr. Katie Leckenby was such an inspiration to me during my student teaching, and believe it or not, I still reach out to her today, 5 years later. She taught me a lot of tips and tricks with writing IEPs and paperwork, and showed me a bunch of different ways to help my students. She is also the one that encouraged me to take a chance and move to Alaska my first few years of teaching. I remember sitting in her classroom when I got the email about the job opportunity and she helped me apply and prep for my job interview. 


4. What initially piqued your interest in pursuing a degree in education? 

For as long as I can remember, I have always wanted to be a teacher. I can remember bribing my little brother to play school with me when we were younger and I would make him be the student so I could pretend to be the teacher. I loved getting to teach children new things and building the connections with each student. 


5. What do you love most about teaching?

 I love the relationships that I have with my students. We all get along really well and I feel as I have built such strong connections with them that they truly trust me and will come to me, whether good or bad, if they ever need help. On top of that, because we have such great relationships, it allows us to joke and have fun when we are in the classroom learning.


6. What makes a great teacher?

 I am always open to wanting to learn new things, new strategies, new techniques, to better myself in the profession. I have only been teaching for 5 years, so I know I have a lot to learn onto of what I have already gained in those 5 years. I think my flexibility and eagerness makes me a great teacher. 




 

No comments:

Post a Comment