Friday, June 28, 2019

Alyssa Greco


1. What is your educational background and what positions have you held?


In 2018, I graduated from Slippery Rock University with a Bachelor's Degree in Early Childhood Education and Special Education. Currently, I just finished my first year as a full-time a Special Education teacher at St. Stephen's Lutheran Academy in Zelienople, Pennsylvania. While it is a tough job, it is incredibly rewarding, and I have already learned so much just from my first year of teaching.


2. What is the most rewarding aspect of your job?


The most rewarding aspect of my job is knowing that I come to work everyday and have the ability to make a lasting impact on the students that I come in contact with. I have the chance to inspire children, and to help them achieve their goals, no matter how big or how small. The relationships between students and myself are rewarding as well; sometimes, teachers are the only adults in a child's life who are a positive influence. I pride myself in being a positive influence in my students lives, and being interested in their lives not just inside of the classroom, but outside of the school as well. I get the chance to teach students in ways that they are comfortable with, and I learn new things every day from being with my students! I learn just as much as they do each day. That, to me, is the whole reason why I went into this profession. I want to be able to make a difference in these children's lives. 


3. What advice would you give to current students who are enrolled in the teacher preparation program, and to SRU students generally?


I would tell them to not sweat the small stuff! Enjoy your time at Slippery Rock University. Your professors will give you so much knowledge, that sometimes you feel like you don't know what to do with it all. Trust me, it will come in handy. Have fun, take chances, and don't be afraid to think outside of the box. Be yourself! Join clubs and make the most of everything that SRU has to offer. Attending SRU was one of the best choices I have ever made, and I feel that I am all the better for it. 


4. Name an SRU experience or faculty that had a positive influence on you and explain why.


One of my favorite professors was Dr. Bieniek. He taught us so much in such a small amount of time, and everything that he taught me has been applicable in my teaching career. He presented everything so positively, and was always willing to answer any question that we had. He was exciting and made me WANT to learn the information he was presenting us with. One of my favorite things he did was on the last day of class. He had us stand on top of our desks as he spoke to us about how we would go on to change the world. It was so inspiring and awesome! He is a great professor, and has a wealth of knowledge to share with you!!!


5. What makes a great teacher?


Great teachers are kind, compassionate, understanding, and funny. Great teachers are prepared, but can be flexible when the students need it. They are dedicated to helping their students learn by whatever means possible. Great teachers have a lasting impression on their students... they are the teachers that we remember for years to come. Great teachers invest themselves in their profession, and provide the best education for their students!



No comments:

Post a Comment