Monday, June 24, 2019

Rebecca Dayton



1. What is your educational background and what positions have you held?


I majored in Elementary and Special education at Slippery Rock University. I graduated from Slippery Rock in 2017.  Since August of 2017 I have been teaching third grade in Prince William county schools. 


2. What is the most rewarding aspect of your job?


The most rewarding aspect of my job is when you are working with a student who makes the connection when you are working with them. You work with students so diligently and try all of the strategies and it just clicks. Then once it just clicks their enjoyment of getting it! Knowing that you had a huge role in getting that student there is a great feeling!


3. What advice would you give to current students who are enrolled in the teacher preparation program, and to SRU students generally?


Attending Slippery Rock was one of the best decisions I have made. However, it was over in a blink of an eye, so don’t wish it away.  Enjoy your time at school and all the opportunities. There are so many opportunities given to students in the College of Education, through classes and student teaching. Dr. Lynch from COE said, “Be comfortable with doing the uncomfortable”, this is so true! Given the opportunities it may seem uncomfortable and out of your comfort zone, but in the end it will all be worth it and you will grow so much from the opportunity. 


4. Name an SRU experience or faculty that had a positive influence on you and explain why.


One of the SRU faculty that had a positive influence on my education at SRU was Dr. Lynch. He was my advisor and my professor for a class about Responsive Classroom. This class was all about management and building a community with your class. This was a class that I looked forward to going to. We worked with a school district to observe and plan a morning meeting for a class. I have found that as a teacher that is how I manage my classroom and I often think about how Dr. Lynch taught his class in the same way. He was a great support system and a memorable teacher! 


5. What makes a great teacher?


A great teacher is a person who not only wants students to be successful at school but to be successful in everything. Teaching is only a half of the day when it come being a great teacher, you are a friend and a cheerleader for each and every one of your students. A great teacher is someone who wants to build a relationship with all of your students.



No comments:

Post a Comment