Tuesday, November 3, 2015

Jenessa Allshouse



What year did you graduate from SRU and what was your major?
I graduated with my bachelor’s degree in Mathematics and a minor in Spanish in Spring 2013.
I went on to get my master’s degree from SRU in Secondary Education and graduated in Spring 2014.

What jobs have you landed?
I started working full-time as a math teacher at Slippery Rock High School in August 2014. I teach Algebra I and Algebra II. This school year is my second year teaching at SRHS.

How did you prepare for the interview for the job you landed?
To prepare for the interviews that I had in secondary education, I went to the office of Career Education and Development at SRU, where John Snyder helped me establish my resume to what a teacher candidate’s resume should encompass. I also visited the SRU website and used several of their practice interview questions as a way to help prepare for the interview process.
I went to the PERC job fair to help me feel more comfortable with interview questions and presenting myself to administrators.

What have you done well at that job?
Last year, I had a good “pass rate” of students who had to take the Algebra I Keystone Exam.
I make sure that I offer tutoring to all of my students after school if they need extra individualized help on certain concepts.
I get involved with the community around Slippery Rock by participating in several school and community events.
At Slippery Rock High School, I am the High School Varsity Cheerleading Coach.

What types of recognition, awards, honors or even activities have you been involved in?
I got the Outstanding Graduate Award while attending Slippery Rock University.
When taking the praxis exam for mathematics, I got an award for scoring in the top 15% of all test takers.
I received several scholarships when attending SRU that were in the math/science fields as well as education.
I did two care-break trips: One to Lakeshore, Mississippi and the other to Jamaica. Both of these trips inspired me to volunteer my time as much as possible and to inspire several other people around the world.

What SRU experience or faculty influenced you and in what way?
While at SRU, I had several faculty members that helped shape me into the teacher and person that I am today.
One professor in particular that inspired me was Dr. Lehman in the secondary education department during my master’s degree. Dr. Lehman is very knowledgeable about the educational world and I feel that he helped guide me into the teacher that I am today. I enjoyed all of the classes that he taught. He is so passionate about education and wants the very best for his students. He will go above and beyond to help you in whatever way he can!
Another professor that inspired me was Dr. Lindgren during my bachelor’s degree in mathematics. Dr. Lindgren was in the mathematics department, and I had him for a few classes, but I saw him in the math department on a daily basis! His classes were challenging and there were times that I struggled, but he was always there to encourage and help me. I was very determined to become a math teacher and his classes gave me the motivation and drive to succeed in that field.

What else can you tell us about your success story that SRU students could learn from?
While at SRU, I got involved in several activities on and off-campus. I made sure to stay well rounded but took my studies very seriously. I coached at Butler High School during all my years at college, which helped give me experience in the education field. I tried to take on every opportunity that was given to me. Even though I had friends that realized math and education wasn’t for them, I stayed true to myself and I am now doing what I LOVE to do! I get to inspire students on a daily basis and I get to see them improve in their academics as well as grow as young adults. I wouldn’t change a thing, and I thank SRU for my wonderful experience and providing me with the educational knowledge necessary to have my dream job.

No comments:

Post a Comment