Monday, September 12, 2022

Taylor Rand


1. What is your educational background and what positions have you held? Please include the current school district and grade/s.

I graduated from Slippery Rock spring of 2021. Last school year I was a long-term substitute teacher for cyber and in-person remediation grades 1-4 at Neshannock Township School District. This summer I was hired permanently as a High School special education teacher for Learning Support and Life Skills grades 7-12 within Neshannock Township School District! 
2. Name one SRU experience, in general or specific to the field, that you will never forget and explain why.

One experience that I will never forget from SRU was the TAP program. This program taught me the importance of building relationships and trust with my students to ensure success. I will never forget the 2 students I worked with and the impact that they made on me! 
3. Name an SRU faculty that had a positive influence on you and explain why.

Dr. Rose is the reason why I never gave up. At one point I was having some difficulty and was almost ready to give up and change my major. She pushed me to stay positive and to try again. If it wasn’t for her I wouldn’t be where I am today. 
4. What initially piqued your interest in pursuing a degree in education?

When I was in high school I job shadowed a second-grade teacher at a neighboring school for a class project. I knew after that day that I wanted to be an educator and shape our youth. 
5. What do you love most about teaching?

What I love most about teaching is seeing how students think. It is fascinating to see and hear how they approach different concepts and scenarios. 
6. What makes a great teacher?

I believe that my communication skills are what make me a great teacher. At the beginning and end of each class, I try to check in with each student and let them know that I am there for them. 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment