Sunday, September 18, 2022

Alexis Onestak

 


1. What is your educational background and what positions have you held? Please include the current school district and grade/s.


I hold a bachelor's degree with dual certification in Early Childhood PK-4 and Special Education PK-12. Before I had even graduated from SRU I was hired in December of 2021 as a full-time substitute teacher for the 5th and 6th Grade Learning Support Teacher at Shenango Elementary School while that teacher was on leave. Within that role, I took on all the responsibilities of the 5th and 6th Grade Learning Support Teacher. I remained a substitute teacher for the remainder of the 21-22 school year. Starting the 22-23 school year continuing my employment as a substitute at Shenango Elementary School, I have taught grades kindergarten through sixth with both regular and special education. 

2. Name one SRU experience, in general or specific to the field, that you will never forget and explain why.


My student teaching was definitely the best educational experience I had while at SRU. As soon as I walked into the doors of Shenango Elementary I was greeted with open arms and kindness towards the faculty. It helped that all the teachers there knew I was still learning. My cooperating teachers for both my regular education and special education placements have had at least 20+ years of experience and have shown me two very different teaching styles which has helped me to figure out what kind of teaching style I want and how I can incorporate it into my own teaching. I was pushed by my SRU supervisor and cooperating teachers to be the best I can be. They made it comfortable for me to ask questions and see what I can improve on. I built relationships and made friendships with every faculty member despite their role in the school and have seen experienced teachers of all grades and ages and what strategies work with different age groups of students. 

3. Name an SRU faculty that had a positive influence on you and explain why.


An SRU faculty member that has had a positive influence on me is Mrs. Diane Papa. Mrs. Papa was my student teaching supervisor and during that time is when I really got to work one on one with her. I was able to build a personal relationship with her and she saw my potential as a beginning teacher. I got to know her better as an educator who has had years of experience and taught me how education has changed over the years and continues to change. Mrs. Papa was very personable with me while student teaching and motivated me to self-reflect on my teaching. 

4. What initially piqued your interest in pursuing a degree in education?


I was really close with my high school special education teacher. She was the one that directed me into education. It was my senior year of high school and she asked what I was going to major in and since I didn't know she steered me towards my high school's Life Skills classroom. All the kids there were nonverbal and had dysphagia. As soon as I walked through the door I saw how happy those kids were and what they were capable of despite having a disability. That moment is when I realized I wanted to pursue a degree in education. 

5. What do you love most about teaching?


What I love most about teaching is meeting and building relationships with students! Letting students know that I care and want them to succeed while in the classroom is what teaching is all about! Creating a safe, welcoming environment for all students no matter where they come from is very important when teaching. I as the teacher can learn from students just as much as they can from me!

6. What makes a great teacher?


What I think makes a great teacher is being dedicated to that one specific goal that all teachers have which is wanting to see students succeed! Being encouraging, accepting, welcoming, and understanding towards each individual student helps build a personal relationship along with a classroom community with students! Not giving up on students shows dedication towards the students and as the teacher, I will not give up on them no matter what happens. 


No comments:

Post a Comment