Sunday, September 25, 2022

Isabella Rapone


1. What is your educational background and what positions have you held? Please include the current school district and grade/s.

I earned my bachelor’s degree in Early Childhood Education (PreK-4th) and Special Education (K-8th) from SRU. I also decided to add certifications for 5th and 6th grade Elementary Education, along with 9-12th grade Special Education to obtain a more diverse and attractable portfolio. I graduated from SRU May of 2021. I am currently in my second year of teaching at Farrell Area Elementary School. I am a PreK / K4 teacher for the district. 

 

2. Name one SRU experience, in general or specific to the field, that you will never forget and explain why.

I had many wonderful SRU experiences throughout my four years. I believe the different field placements throughout the years in many school districts propelled me towards becoming a more diverse and well-rounded teacher. The exposure to school districts such as, Mohawk, West Middlesex, Pittsburgh Public Schools, etc. allowed me to witness varying teaching styles, strategies, and instructional practices, which equipped me tremendously well to exceed in any given school district. 

 

3. Name an SRU faculty that had a positive influence on you and explain why.

I had been so privileged to learn from a plethora of wonderful professors at SRU. They all helped shape me into the teacher I am today. They were all caring, kind and truly aspired to help you develop as an educator. One professor in particular that truly had a positive influence on me was Dr. Rose. While her literacy classes were challenging, she helped me grow stronger as an educator in literacy and pushed each and every student she instructed towards reaching their highest potential.

 

4. What initially piqued your interest in pursuing a degree in education?

Ever since I had been a young girl, I have always wanted to become a teacher. My first grade teacher represented my first professional inspiration, and she is still someone I consider a role model, due to her unconditional love for her student population. I had always wanted to be a teacher that students can trust and turn towards when they may not have anybody else. 

 

5. What do you love most about teaching?

My most favorite thing about teaching is watching my students become genuinely excited to learn! The moment when a student truly understands and comprehends a concept that they have been working so hard at is what makes it all worth it. Additionally, I love the amazing classroom family that I build with my students each year. It is so true when you hear that each student you are given will be your student for life, long after they leave your classroom. The kids you are privileged to teach will truly hold a special place in your heart. 

 

6. What makes a great teacher?

I believe a great teacher is someone who possesses many different qualities. A great teacher must demonstrate kindness, empathy, understanding, flexibility, patience, and more. We, as teachers, have the opportunity to mold young minds and prepare them to excel in both societal and professional settings. This is a privileged opportunity, and one that requires a special combination of qualities. Being a teacher is one of the most meaningful jobs you can have and it is so worth it! 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment