Tuesday, September 6, 2022

Emy Gaston


1. What is your educational background and what positions have you held? Please include the current school district and grade/s.
 
I attended SRU majoring in Early Childhood Education and Special Education K-8. I had always loved working with kids and really wanted to help students who struggled with schooling to achieve their goals. I was fortunate enough to be placed for student teaching here in town at Slippery Rock Area Elementary, working in 4th grade learning support and 3rd-grade general education classrooms. I learned so much about classroom management, lesson planning, and making connections with my students from my amazing cooperating teachers. After graduation, I began working towards my master's degree in Special Education 7-12 at SRU. While finishing my degree, I was offered a long-term sub position at Slippery Rock Area High School as a learning support science teacher. I was hired on full-time after a year! This year, I am actually teaching the students I had in 4th-grade learning support as 9th graders!
 
2. Name one SRU experience, in general or specific to the field, that you will never forget and explain why.
 
While earning my master's at SRU, I had the opportunity to work as a Graduate Assistant for the College of Education. This experience was so crucial to my growth as a professional. I learned the parts of the job that are sometimes the hardest - How to write a professional email, communicate with other teachers, supervisors, etc. Building these skills simultaneously while working as a first-year teacher really helped me develop my professionalism.
 
3. Name an SRU faculty that had a positive influence on you and explain why.
 
The SRU Faculty member who had the biggest impact on me is Dr. Michelle McCollin. I was lucky enough to be in her classes for the entirety of my undergraduate education. From High Incidence Disabilities to Special Ed. Law, she fostered our love for the profession and gave us the tools to be amazing teachers. She always preached to us to put the student's needs first, and she always put us first.
 
4. What initially piqued your interest in pursuing a degree in education?
 
I come from a huge family with around 30 cousins, all ranging in age. I was always to "go-to" babysitter of the family. I grew up surrounded by children and loved caring for them as they grew. I also had a few teachers growing up that really made me want to get out of bed and come to school every day. I wanted to become one of those teachers that made school a safe and fun environment for kids. Little did I know that I would end up in a high school working with teenagers. While I was originally interested in early childhood, I wouldn't change it for the world. I get to support these students in some of the hardest times of their lives and make high school a safe space for them to learn.
 
5. What do you love most about teaching?
 
I love creating bonds with the students I have in my classroom. As a learning support teacher, you really have the opportunity and responsibility to get to know your students. You know their likes, dislikes, strengths, and needs. Oftentimes, my job isn't just to be their teacher. It's to be a smiling face or a listening ear. I love giving the students a "home away from home" and creating a safe, welcoming environment for them.
 
6. What makes a great teacher?
 
Great teachers care about their student's growth, well-being, and security, not just content learning. Great teachers meet their students where they are and cater teaching to their styles, rather than asking them to conform to their standards. Great teachers put their students first.

No comments:

Post a Comment