Monday, March 1, 2021

Cara Welfer

1. What is your educational background and what positions have you held?

I currently teach high school students with intellectual disabilities in Sarasota County, Florida.  My students are amazing and they encourage me to be my best.  I honestly cannot wait to see them EVERY morning! 

 

Prior to this teaching position, I was the Exceptional Student Liaison here for 7 years since 2004.  This position provided hands-on experience with the Response to Intervention and the special education and gifted staffing process including developing IEP’s, schedules, and training teachers. 

 

1998-2001- I taught special education (grades 1-3) in Lake County, Florida, while I earned my master’s degree from the University of Central Florida.

 

2001-2004-  I taught middle school students with disabilities at a middle school in Orange County, Florida

 

2. Name one SRU experience, in general or specific to the field, that you will never forget and explain why.

In the Spring of 1998, I had the pleasure of student teaching in Pine Richland School District.  During my internship, I was often drawn to struggling students.  I particularly remember one third-grade student that was new to the area.  She and her mother relocated from another state when her parents divorced. The girl’s difficulty to adjust and loneliness was evident and I quickly felt the need to help her.  I spoke with one of my favorite SRU professors, Dr. Gordon, and he encouraged me to be “the adult that I needed when I was younger.” With his guidance, I was able to build a relationship with her and some of the other students that were viewed as “unreachable”.  I realized that semester that my passion was working with struggling students and decided to pursue a master’s degree in special education.  

 

3. Name an SRU faculty that had a positive influence on you and explain why.

Dr. Gordon!  He believed in me and encouraged me to believe in myself. 

 

4. What initially peaked your interest in pursuing a degree in education?

I grew up in a family of educators and school administrators.  As a very young child, I loved playing “teacher”. 

 

5. What do you love most about teaching?

The students!  There is something magical about watching a student graduate and feeling that I had some small part in making that happen.  😊

 

6. What makes a great teacher?

My students make me a great teacher.  I learn from them!  They have taught me so much over the years.


No comments:

Post a Comment