Monday, March 15, 2021

Lindsay Romeo

1. What is your educational background and what positions have you held?

I graduated from SRU in May of 2020 and decided to attend law school. I am currently at Drexel Law in Philadelphia and I hope to graduate in 2023 and work in the Education Law field!

2. Name one SRU experience, in general or specific to the field, that you will never forget and explain why.

I was really interested in my Special Education Law class with Dr. Merhaut, obviously, and I also loved all of the field opportunities we were given. SRU really gave me the tools to learn more about the environmental and socioeconomic impacts of a child’s education. Teachers are superstars but there is so much that is beyond their control that still directly impacts children, starting in the home and building to local and national policies.

3. Name an SRU faculty that had a positive influence on you and explain why.

I can speak so highly of just about any faculty member at SRU, all of our professors are absolutely amazing. I loved taking class with Professor Alexander, she always welcomed me for who I am and supported my passions and ideas. She is such a wonderful professor who really taught me a lot about education from the ground up. I also loved learning about ABA with Dr. Beinek and Education Law with Dr. Merhaut. I use so much of what I learned in law school every day.

4. What influenced your decision after graduation to pursue a graduate degree?

I decided to attend law school because I knew I wanted to do more. I knew that the flaws in our system weren’t due to bad teachers, they were majorly due to the state of our local, state and federal governments. I want to support teachers and children from another angle, outside of the classroom. I am passionate about advocating for high quality education, children’s rights and criminal justice reform and I knew that law school, along with my background in education, would give me a unique skillset to best serve the community.

5. What advice would you give to current students who are enrolled in the teacher preparation program at SRU?

Get to know your professors! SRU has some of the best professors and I truly have nothing bad to say about the education department at SRU. Go to office hours, ask how you can get involved, reach out to members of the community and take advantage of all of the wonderful opportunities, resources and services that are at your fingertips. The world is truly your oyster at SRU, be a leader and put in the work to make a change in your community.

6. What makes a great teacher?

In my opinion, a great teacher never stops learning. SRU gives you the tools to go forth in your life and continue your education, so take advantage of the skills you’ve practiced and never stop learning. I think great teachers need to learn about the injustice in our system, the politics that impact education, different types of family dynamics, financial assistance programs that your students rely on to eat, etc. There is so much that happens outside of a teacher’s classroom that needs to be taken into account. Never stop learning, never stop growing and your students will follow.

7. What was it like transitioning into law school? How can students prepare if they’re interested?

Going to law school as an education major isn't a smoothly paved path, but it definitely isn't impossible and that should not deter you. All you need to do to go to law school is take the LSAT (Law School Admissions Test), which is a test of logic and reading, and apply to schools. While the majority of my classmates came from business-centered or political majors, I do have two other classmates who have backgrounds in Education. Education Law is a booming field, having a foundation rooted in the field is such an advantage to best serve your clients. If you’re passionate about education, children’s rights or social justice, law school may be a great fit for you. I am happy to discuss any questions or thoughts you may have about following this path.

No comments:

Post a Comment