Monday, February 22, 2021

Nathan Pfeiffer

1. What is your educational background and what positions have you held?

I got my undergrad in Elementary Education with a minor in Middle Level Mathematics at Slippery Rock University.  I have worked all of my 17 years at Plum Borough School District with 1 year as a Math Coach/Gifted Support, 1 year as a STEM teacher, and 15 years teaching 6th grade with a focus on teaching math.  While teaching, I obtained my Master's Degree in Curriculum and Instruction at Gannon University before returning to SRU to work on my doctorate in Special Education where I am currently working on my dissertation.

 

2. Name one SRU experience, in general or specific to the field, that you will never forget and explain why.

At graduation practice, in front of all of my fellow graduating seniors, Dr. Smith (the current school president) called me up on stage under the guise of giving a speech to my fellow classmates.  After a few encouraging words along the lines of moving on to our exciting futures, but not wanting to do it alone, I called my girlfriend (also a graduating senior) up to the stage with me. In front of all of my classmates, I was very happy that she said yes to my marriage proposal on the stage in Morrow Field House.  15 years later, we are still as happy as ever and the proud parents of 3 amazing daughters.  While we had started dating in high school before attending SRU together, our life moving forward was shaped by the people we met, relationships created, professors we had, and life lessons learned while at Slippery Rock together.  We still drive through and visit campus when we can to remember all of the good times we had as students (and to grab a Bob's sub!).

 

3. Name an SRU faculty that had a positive influence on you and explain why.

Dr. Werner helped me realize that I could come out of my shell and make math fun.  Bringing humor to my teaching and encouraging my students to laugh and enjoy themselves has been a vital part of my teaching philosophy.  If students want to come to class and are willing to work, then you can help them do incredible things.  I had always had incredible math teachers in my academic career, but Dr. Werner helped me to see my future teacher self and philosophy come to life.


4. What initially peaked your interest in pursuing a degree in education?

I had always been a good math student and had often been asked to help my classmates in middle school and high school.  There is no better feeling than watching the moment the "light bulb" goes on for someone when you help them to finally understand a concept.  Seeing that with my classmates, as well as incredible experiences working at a summer camp for socially and emotionally challenged elementary students at my local YMCA made me realize that teaching was the career for me.

 

5. What do you love most about teaching?

As stated earlier, the moment you help a student to make a realization, a connection, or overcome what had been a challenge to them is an incredible moment to be a part of.  Additionally, teaching is such an amazing career because of the constant connections you get to make with new students every year.  While it is always sad to see a group of students move on each year after watching their hard work and growth throughout a school year, knowing that there is always a new group of students headed my way the next year keeps me energized and motivated to work just as hard for them.


6. What makes a great teacher?

I would hope that others would describe me as a great teacher and I believe it would be from the connections that I make with my students.  Whether it be through the bad singing, not-always-funny jokes, dancing, or any other ways that I show my students that we can have a good time while working hard, I always strive to make my classroom a positive place that students want to be.  I have been blessed to teach in a great community, have wonderful parental support, and awesome students in my teaching career.  I always want to do whatever I can to help my students grow and that is why I chose to go back for my doctorate in Special Education.  So that I can find more and new ways to help reach any student that comes in to my classroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment