Monday, February 15, 2021

Lisa Riello-Jones

1. What is your educational background and what positions have you held?

I graduated from SRU with a BS in Elementary Education and a BS in Special Education in 1996.  I earned my Master's Degree in Education from George Mason University in 2009. Throughout my teaching career, I have served as a teacher of students with learning disabilities in grades 3-5, as well as a general education teacher in grades 1, 2, and 3. I have been a first-grade teacher in Prince William County for the last 16 years.


2. Name one SRU experience, in general or specific to the field, that you will never forget and explain why.

I loved my time at SRU! I was fortunate to be part of the first group of students to student teach in Las Vegas, NV!  After walking across the stage at graduation, we piled into 2 cars and drove across the country. It was a great experience that taught me a lot about helping students and prepared me for my first teaching job which was also in Las Vegas.


3. Name an SRU faculty that had a positive influence on you and explain why.

One of my favorite professors was Dr. Quast. He was kind, patient, and had a great sense of humor. He also served as an advisor to us during our student teaching adventure. He took the time to get to know his students and find out what was going on with us outside of the classroom. Another faculty member who had a positive influence on me was Rebecca Badgett. I initially planned to only major in Elementary Education, but I met her at an education fair, and she introduced me to the field of Special Education. Adding a degree in Special Education added extra time to my college career, but it has served me well in all of my teaching experiences.


4. What initially peaked your interest in pursuing a degree in education?

Growing up, I had some great teachers. I also had some not-so-great teachers. I think both kinds of teachers helped me decide that I wanted to become a positive influence and role model for children. 


5. What do you love most about teaching?

I love creating a sense of community in my classroom each year. I enjoy getting to know my students and finding out who they are outside of school. Together, we create an environment where everyone belongs and feels valued, which sets the stage for the hard work of learning.


6. What makes a great teacher?

The field of education is ever-changing. I believe a great teacher is one who is always willing to learn from both their colleagues as well as their students. We have so much to learn. I think great teachers are the ones who take the extra time to build relationships with students. There is nothing better than that visit from a high school senior who once sat in your first-grade classroom!

No comments:

Post a Comment