Monday, December 7, 2020

Olivia Freed

1. What is your educational background and what positions have you held? 

I graduated from SRU in May 2020 with a Bachelor’s in Early Childhood Education and Special Education. I worked for the SRU/SGA Child Care Center and Preschool during my undergrad as an assistant teacher, and after graduating, as a head teacher of the summer preschool program. I worked as a paraprofessional in an autistic support classroom during the extended school year program. Now, I am working as a graduate assistant within the Early Childhood Department here at SRU, as well as working for an applied behavior analysis therapy clinic. I am a Registered Behavior Technician (awaiting confirmation to take the written exam due to covid-19), working with individuals with autism spectrum disorder and other developmental delays. I am also enrolled at SRU in the Special Education Master’s program with a concentration in Applied Behavior Analysis.

 

2. Name one SRU experience, in general or specific to the field, that you will never forget and explain why.

I have truly appreciated all of my experiences at SRU for so many reasons. I feel that my time at SRU has helped shape me into the well-rounded professional and person that I am today. The College of Education, and specifically the Early Childhood and Special Ed. Departments, provided me with several opportunities to grow as an educator and professional, through field experiences, coursework, professors, travel opportunities, clubs and organizations, and more. SRU also gave me the opportunity to be involved outside of the College of Ed. Through clubs like the Musical Theatre Society, which allowed me to meet people from a variety of majors and backgrounds. These experiences have shaped me into the strong and successful person that I am today.

 

3. Name an SRU faculty that had a positive influence on you and explain why.

There are so many faculty that have positively impacted me at SRU. There are a couple that come to mind, like Dr. Bieniek and Dr. Kelley, who have, and continue to positively impact me. Dr. Beiniek has been someone that I go regularly to with questions and for advice. He is always willing to lend a hand when needed, and I am so thankful for his continued wisdom and support. Dr. Kelley is someone who I always looked up to as an undergrad, and now, I have the opportunity to work alongside her as a graduate assistant. She is passionate about positively impacting her students and the field of education, and I am thankful to be able to know her and learn from her.

 

4. What initially peaked your interest in pursuing a degree in education?

I always wanted to be a teacher. I grew up wanting to help people, and the world of education provided me with that ability. As I moved through the program at SRU, I fell more in love with working with individuals with disabilities, and I eventually learned about Board Certified Behavior Analysts (BCBA) and the impactful work they do. Through the coursework and faculty at SRU, I have been able to pursue my dream career!

 

5. What do you love most about your work in the field of education?

My favorite part of working in the field of education is seeing my clients/students succeed, and it’s so amazing to see a child grasp a new concept or skill. It’s rewarding to see the pride they have and know that I played a role in helping them achieve that goal.

 

6. What makes a great teacher?

I think what makes me a great teacher is my determination to think outside the box and my desire to see my students be successful. I want to do whatever I can to help them become kind, successful, and independent people.

No comments:

Post a Comment