Monday, December 28, 2020

Jordan Militello

1. What is your educational background and what positions have you held? 

I graduated from Slippery Rock University in May of 2020 with a major in Early Childhood Education and Special Education. I currently teach at Pinellas County School District in Florida. I am teaching in a Kindergarten and 1st grade Autism Spectrum Disorder self-contained classroom. In December I will be transitioning to a 2nd grade classroom. 


2. Name one SRU experience, in general or specific to the field; that you will never forget and explain why. 

I will never forget during my student teaching when we got sent home and had to go fully online due to the pandemic. My supervisor, Dr. Erickson made sure that we were going to be prepared to graduate. He had administrators from many different schools join our zoom meetings to practice interviewing and to give us advice. During those few months, he provided support and made me feel confident that I was prepared to graduate even though we were not traditionally student teaching. 


3. Name an SRU faculty that had a positive influence on you and explain why. 

Dr. LaGamba. She took the time to know all of us both as students and future teachers. During field, no matter the time of the day, she always made sure to check-in and to see if we needed anything. Dr. LaGamba was very supportive, provided guidance and assistance. 


4. What initially peaked your interest in pursuing a degree in education? 

I have always had interest in being a teacher. I want each of my students to know that they can do anything as long as they work their hardest and set goals. 


5. What is the most rewarding aspect of your job? 

A lot of my students are non-verbal or have limited communication skills. I have been teaching them sign language. When one of my students signed “please” and “thank you” without any prompting I felt a sense of accomplishment. At that moment, I realized that all of the prior daily prompting to use sign language had paid off. 


6. What makes a great teacher? 

I believe a great teacher is someone who teaches from the heart, shows compassion and concern for each student. 

No comments:

Post a Comment