Monday, November 30, 2020

Jenna Achtzehn

1. What is your educational background and what positions have you held?  

I graduated from Slippery Rock in May 2020 with a bachelor’s degree in Early Childhood and Special Education. I am currently a 3rd grade teacher at Oakland Elementary School in Clarksville, Tennessee.  

 

2. Name one SRU experience that you will never forget.  

The experience I will never forget is traveling abroad to Italy over spring break. It was truly a once in a lifetime opportunity and something I got to experience alongside some of my closest friends.  

 

3. Name an SRU faculty that had a positive influence on you and why.  

Dr. Amodei would be the faculty member that had the most positive influence on me during my time at SRU. Dr. Amodei was not only one of my professors but also my advisor for PSEA which I was heavily involved in. Above being my advisor, she was a friend, she was always the person I could go to when I needed something, and she greatly cared about my successes.  

 

4. What initially peaked your interest in pursuing a degree in education? 

I have wanted to be a teacher for as long as I can remember. I was always very passionate about helping others and watching others succeed.  

 

5. What is the most rewarding aspect of your job? 

I love seeing the growth and success of each one of my students. Especially the “light bulb” moment, when a student is struggling with something for a long time and eventually it just clicks. That makes everything worth it.  

 

6. What makes a great teacher? 

A great teacher is someone who cares about their students. A teacher can write any lesson plan and know every standard by heart, but if they don’t have that relationship with their students, it means nothing. Starting from the beginning of the year, a teacher should learn about their students and what makes each one of them special. These relationships make students feel welcome and safe in their classroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment