Monday, November 23, 2020

Jackelyn Bracken

1. What is your educational background and what positions have you held? 

I recently graduated from SRU in the Spring of 2020. I am currently a 3rd grade science and social studies teacher at Conemaugh Valley Elementary School- a small school outside of Johnstown, Pa. 

2. Name one SRU experience, in general or specific to the field, that you will never forget and explain why.

I will never forget the field experiences during my time as an SRU student. It was a great experience watching what we were learning in classes being put into practice, and knowing that you were one step closer to reaching your goal (becoming a teacher) after each placement. 


3. Name an SRU faculty that had a positive influence on you and explain why.

Darlene Bullock- her passion and positive attitude for the field was inspiring during each class. She went above and beyond for the students in the class in preparing us for whatever future was ahead of each student. I would also like to thank Dr. Lynch for teaching very realistic and modern classroom management skills, as well as preparing me for the reality of teaching. 


4. What initially peaked your interest in pursuing a degree in education?

My journey originally began when I was a freshman nursing major at Robert Morris University and quickly realized I was in the wrong major. I transferred to SRU and never looked back! 


5. What do you love most about teaching?

I love getting to know my students and watching them succeed at something that was once a challenge! 


6. What makes a great teacher?

Being a first-year teacher during COVID has been much different than I ever anticipated my first year to be. However, I have not come across one teacher that is not trying their hardest and doing their best. Caring for your students and knowing that you have done the best you can is what makes a good teacher.

No comments:

Post a Comment