Monday, November 16, 2020

Savanna Wilson

1. What is your educational background and what positions have you held?

I graduated from SRU this past May so my teaching background only started a few months ago! I found my current teaching home in Hampton Township School District this year. I started off here as a building substitute teacher, but I am currently a Long Term Substitute Special Education Teacher. I teach elementary students (K-5) with special needs who have IEPs regarding academic areas, social, behavior and/or life skills.


2. Name one SRU experience, in general or specific to the field, that you will never forget and explain why.

Being able to have field experience at The Watson Institute was an experience that I will never forget. I was in a classroom with students who had severe physical and intellectual disabilities. These students truly touched my heart in so many ways and showed me why I want to be a teacher.


3. Name an SRU faculty that had a positive influence on you and explain why.

During my Professional Semester in the CoE, every single professor I had made my experience at SRU worth it. I went through a really tough time in my personal life which made college extra hard my senior year. Dr. Bieniek, Dr. Merhaut, Dr. Rose, and Dr. Mild helped me through my trying times and reminded me that I need to be there for my future students like they were for me.


4. What initially peaked your interest in pursuing a degree in education?

I went to A.W. Beattie Career Center during my time in high school which is the main reason why I perused this path. My teacher there sparked a light in me that I didn’t know existed, and she helped me practice teaching skills that just came naturally to me.


5. What is the most rewarding aspect of your job?

Specifically in Special Education, watching a student achieve a goal is so rewarding. As a teacher working with students with special needs, the students get individualized services that help them reach their highest potential. Monitoring students for progress day in and day out and seeing positive results is what makes me go back every single day!


6. What makes a great teacher?

Someone who is in the field for their students. It is evident that the pay is not the reason a first-year teacher stays in the field. If you are in it for the students, you’re going to be a great teacher. Something that I have also learned, especially in special education, is that if I need to stand on my head to make a child learn, then so be it! A great teacher changes their “perfect” lesson plan to do what is in the best interest of their students.


No comments:

Post a Comment