Thursday, January 4, 2018

Marissa Snider


 
What is your educational background and what positions have you held?
I graduated from Slippery Rock in May 2017 with a degree in Early Childhood Education and Special Education. I am currently a Kindergarten teacher at Union Mill Elementary School in Fairfax County, Virginia!

What is the most rewarding aspect of your job?
The most rewarding aspect of my job is being apart of 25 kindergartners' first school experience! They come in on the first day shy, nervous, and like an empty canvas. Within a few weeks, I get to see all of the drastic changes academically and socially. These children are the reason I went into the education field, and I tell myself every day how great my job is! I get to spend six hours a day laughing and watching each student have fun learning. What is better than that?

What advice would you give to current students who are enrolled in the teacher preparation program, and to SRU students generally?
My advice to students currently in the education major is never lose sight of what kind of teacher you want to be. Be open-minded about different techniques and styles of teaching; however, stay true to what makes you unique in the field of education!

Name an SRU experience or faculty that had a positive influence on you and explain why.

Being an Orientation Ambassador was one of my most positive experiences at Slippery Rock. Representing SRU and meeting all of the freshman was such an exciting time. Not only did I make friendships that will last a lifetime, but I have also grown so much as a person and now as a teacher. I will never forget that experience. With the guidance of my boss, Robert Lagnese, I became a more confident, well-rounded, and professional person. I recommend this job to anyone interested in taking on a leadership role and helping to make students transitions into college fun, successful, and memorable!

Two professors in the education department that made my time at Slippery Rock one to remember were Dr. Badgett and Dr. Snyder. Dr. Badgett was my advisor for the first three years of college before she retired. She was patient, loving, and always made me feel so special. During my senior year, I became a huge fan of Dr. Snyder after four weeks of student teaching in Mexico. Prior to this trip, I never had him as a professor. It was great to have spent such an amazing time with him on the trip. I will never forget these two amazing people!

What makes a great teacher?
The main thing that makes a great teacher is never forgetting what it was like to be the student. Being able to put your self in the shoes of a kid will make you a more understanding and sympathetic teacher when students experience successes and struggles. Be the teacher you wish you had as a kid!

No comments:

Post a Comment