Tuesday, January 23, 2018

Haylie Schmidt


What is your educational background and what positions have you held?
I majored in Early Childhood Education (pk-4) and Special Education (pk-8). I also took the PRAXIS exam to add 5th and 6th grades to my certification. I graduated in May of 2017 and have recently accepted a position teaching 6th grade math and social studies. I am teaching in the Erie Catholic Schools in Erie, PA. I was a substitute teacher for three months in Erie County before I landed this full-time position.

What is the most rewarding aspect of your job?
There are so many rewarding aspects, I am not sure I can pick just one!! As cliché as it sounds, I love to watch those lightbulb moments happen. There is nothing better than seeing a student who was struggling finally “get it!” In math, so many concepts are hard to grasp at first, but once a student perseveres through the tough times, they get so proud of themselves! I also really love to plan fun and engaging activities for my students. Seeing them learn without even knowing it makes me so happy!

What advice would you give to current students who are enrolled in the teacher preparation program, and to SRU students generally?

I would suggest that you take every opportunity SRU provides to get educated in all aspects of the field. Go to the conferences on campus, seek new information, listen to the professors lecture at club meetings! I learned so much about teaching effectively, interviewing, and how to manage a classroom through the extracurricular activities offered. Take jobs working with children of all ages, not just your certification age! Also, I’d like to point out that if I did not add on a certification, I would not have even gotten an interview for my current job! Ask John Snyder in Career Education and Development for help about taking your exams. He is a life saver! Step out of your comfort zone, schools want to hire the most highly qualified teachers as possible!

Name an SRU experience or faculty that had a positive influence on you and explain why.
There were SO many influential experiences that shaped me as a teacher. I was lucky enough to have been paired with Dr. Linda Zane for the Professor Protégé Program when I started at SRU. The program helped me become more outgoing and involved on our campus when I was more shy and introverted. I also joined and took leadership roles in a variety of organizations. For first year students, FLSP is a fantastic way to dip your toes into getting involved. FLSP can help filter you into clubs/organizations that fit you best. All education majors, in my opinion, should join Student- PSEA! I had so many opportunities to go to and plan conferences and enjoy professional development that helped me land my job! Lastly, I had the chance to travel to Sweden with Dr. Zane during my junior year. I did not realize the impact traveling abroad would have on my philosophy of education! Without Dr. Zane, I would not have had the same college experience. Of course, there were plenty of other faculty members that shaped me into the teacher I am! SRU has some of the best professors ever!

What makes a great teacher? 

I think a great teacher is the definition of a public servant leader. Teachers should do whatever they can to serve their students to the best of their ability. A great teacher should not do whatever is easiest for them, but should have the best interest of his/her students in mind. If that means having more work, that means we have to do more work! Our hearts and souls should go into our job every single day.

No comments:

Post a Comment