Thursday, January 11, 2018

Dan Brown


What is your educational background and what positions have you held?
I completed my undergraduate degree at Slippery Rock University in Secondary Education, Social Studies. I taught history in the Pennsylvania public school system for 4 years, before accepting an opportunity at Penn State Greater Allegheny as a Coordinator of Residence Life as I completed my Masters of Science in Organizational Leadership at Duquesne. After completing my advanced degree, I was offered the opportunity to move to the Penn State Berks campus to oversee the campus’ Residence Life program as Assistant Director of Student Affairs. After many wonderful years with Penn State, I was able to return to my “hometown” when an opportunity as Assistant Director of Housing Operations opened at my alma mater, and then was able to transition to my current role, Director of Housing. In addition to my professional career, I also take great pride in serving 20 years as a staff member of Camp Bucoco, a Boy Scout Camp in Slippery Rock. Scouting was the most impactful part of my life and was the deciding factor that has shaped both of my career paths. 


What is the most rewarding aspect of your job?

I can honestly say the best part of my position is working directly with the students. As an administrator it can be hard to step away from my desk and get away from the daily tasks and paperwork, but I always value my time simply talking with and interacting with students. On-campus housing is a “living-learning” environment and I value still being able to teach others how things work, show students the how and why behind procedures or projects, and take time to get to know the students I come in contact with and what their goals are here at SRU. My favorite times are when I talk with students when they have an maintenance issue, for example, where I am able to show them how something works (or how it will be fixed) and help them understand that these are issues they will face in their first apartment or their first home. It is really rewarding to be able to get to know our students and simply talk in general and share stories, knowledge and perspective. I also really value learning from our facilities staff and trades as they are highly skilled and I learn so much from them each and every day as I ask questions on the “why and how” of specific areas of their expertise. 


What advice would you give to current students who are enrolled in the teacher preparation program, and to SRU students generally?

I really valued my time in the College of education at Slippery Rock. I had great professors and mentors and was afforded many opportunities being active with the history honorary and volunteering at the Old Stone House. My adviser, Dr. Fritzie (Frieda) Meier was one of the best ‘teacher of teachers’ I have come into contact with. Dr. Meier used to say she could make an average teacher good, but it took the passion of the individual to elevate to become a great teacher. The college experience is what you make of it, but with that said, you cannot be part of absolutely everything that SRU has to offer…there is just too much! My advice for students is to “test drive” as many clubs, organizations and activities as you can; however, then choose those activities or organizations that best fit your personal interests and goals to dedicate the most focus. A person can only wear so many hats, so focus on the projects and activities that are most important to you personally and professional…and give them all the energy you can! While some students may have a victory lap for senior year, you only get one freshman year, so put yourself out there and experience what SRU has to offer! Have fun, take time to build friendships, and laugh each and every day!

Name an SRU experience or faculty that had a positive influence on you and explain why.
Dr. Larry Rotge (retired) of the history department had the most influential impact on my career as a student at Slippery Rock University. Dr. Rotge always had those “dreaded” 8AM lectures, but he was fascinating because he was so passionate as he lectured on topics of colonization and early America. The way he spoke about his subjects, you could feel his love of the topic and time period and I definitely was engrossed in his enthusiasm. I took every class he offered and still have my notebooks from his class which I used as a reference when I was a new instructor teaching civics. I still see Dr. Rotge on campus for events and around town and am unsure if he knows the impact he had on my life, but that just goes to show: you never know who looks up to you! Our intended teachers should remember this: you may never know who admires you or looks up to you, but you will have those that do! So, be a role model regardless. Recently, Dr. Rotge and he wife endowed two scholarships for SRU students, which shows his passion goes far beyond the classroom. Dr. Rotge definitely was someone whom I looked up to and valued as a professor because of his passion for teaching and students, which is evident by his continued support of the University. 

What makes a great teacher?
A great teacher is an even better student! I personally feel a great teacher is a great student as far as they always want to learn more and further develop their skill set and knowledge about a variety of topics. Part of being a great teacher is being able to value and learn from your own students; learning what works best for them, what they need to better relate to the material, what motivates them, and adjusting the material accordingly. Teachers should be attentive and engaged learners throughout their lives. Great teachers also make learning fun for the students and in turn, makes teaching fun for themselves! Show your passion for education to the students, and they will catch that enthusiasm!

No comments:

Post a Comment