Thursday, January 18, 2018

Brian Aikens

 


What is your educational background and what positions have you held?
I graduated from SRU in December of 2003 after completing my student teaching experience in Dublin, Ireland. I graduated with a dual degree in Special Education and Elementary Education. I began teaching middle school emotional support in Waldorf, MD and transitioned to my current position as an elementary emotional support teacher for the Spring-Ford School District at Upper Providence Elementary in 2005. I also work with our high school Resiliency Club students creating a positive impact on our community. In 2013, I completed my Master's in Clinical and Counseling Psychology from Chestnut Hill College in Philadelphia, PA. In 2015, I founded Insight Minds, LLC, bringing mindfulness and social-emotional learning practices to school districts and communities across the state.

What is the most rewarding aspect of your job? Working with young children for multiple years, I am able to see their social and emotional growth. We practice kindness and compassion and develop that into greater personal wellness. Helping students who struggle with their emotions and behaviors, learn how to understand and change those feelings, is an experience that is difficult to put into words. Academic growth is vital for students, but to see children thrive and flourish emotionally changes your dedication as an educator.

What advice would you give to current students who are enrolled in the teacher preparation program, and to SRU students generally?
Relationships are the number one source of our happiness. Develop strong, authentic, positive relationships with peers, faculty, and the community. Be willing to be vulnerable and open-minded. Get involved in organizations and leadership programs on campus. I was active in Pi Kappa Alpha, Kappa Delta Pi, UPB, Special Olympics, and other clubs that gave me leadership experience. These experiences helped guide and prepare me for my professional life. Lastly, get as much experience as you can in diverse situations. I did my practicum work in Philadelphia, and student teaching in suburban Pittsburgh and Dublin, Ireland. These experiences not only provided a lot of opportunities for me to grow, but school administrators valued my willingness to take risks.

Name an SRU experience or faculty that had a positive influence on you and explain why.

There are so many experiences and people that impacted me at SRU. First and foremost, Dr. John Bonando was an advisor, friend, and an amazing human being. You were always the most important person when he was talking to you. He gave his undivided attention to your needs, offered support and encouragement. Community service and professional workshops with the Pi Kappa Alpha Fraternity lead to many opportunities on and off SRU's campus. These experiences continue to flow into my personal and professional life today. Working on the Special Olympics Western Fall Sectional team and Dr. Arnhold's Adapted Physical Aquatic's Program gave me real-life experience making a difference. And finally, doing part of my student teaching experience in Dublin, Ireland because it was an adventure and a new opportunity I could not get in the States.

What makes a great teacher?
Building positive relationships with students will help them feel safe, valued, and have a stronger desire to learn. Most importantly, take care of your own mental wellness. If you are not healthy, it is difficult to help others be well.  

No comments:

Post a Comment