Sunday, October 15, 2023

Stone Helsel


1. What is your educational background and what positions have you held? Please include the current school district and grade/s.

I recently graduated from SRU, this May (2023) with a degree in Secondary Education: Social Studies/History 7-12. In addition to my excellent field experiences while at Slippery Rock, I have worked as a day-to-day substitute and a summer schoolteacher. I am very excited to start my first year of teaching as a 6th grade Social Studies Teacher at Floyd T. Binns Middle School (Culpeper County Public Schools, Virginia)! 


2. Name one SRU experience, in general or specific to the field, that you will never forget and explain why.

My time at The Rock provided me with innumerable opportunities to grow not only professionally but personally too.  I made life-long connections and memories with close friends and mentors. In particular, one memory that stands far among the rest was my final student teaching evaluation. After my university supervisor had left the classroom, several of my students eagerly shot their hands up and immediately peppered me with the question: "Did you pass?". I confusingly asked them to clarify their question and they almost shouted, "Did you pass your student teaching...Are you going to graduate?". I replied that I passed with flying colors and the whole class stood up and gave me a thunderous round of applause. As an educator, you work so hard to support your students but it means an incredible deal when your students show their support to you as their teacher.   


3. Name an SRU faculty that had a positive influence on you and explain why.

There have been a multitude of professors and support staff that has made me the educator I am today. Dr. Hicks was an incredible advisor and he always reminded me to place the values and life lessons I want to instill to my students at the heart of my lessons. Dr. Hoge has been a generous mentor with overseeing the SEFE Club, an organization that linked me with amazing professional development and a community of fellow educators. Finally, Germaine Newstrom, our department secretary, truly makes McKay Education Building a home on campus by knowing every student by name and story; while being our go-to problem-solver for all questions and much more. 


4. What initially piqued your interest in pursuing a degree in education?

I have wanted to be an educator since Elementary School. I have been blessed to be taught by passionate and dedicated teachers throughout my schooling. Growing up, my parents encouraged me to do what makes a sincere impact on others, irrespective of its size, along with doing what I love. In my current role, I get to achieve a perfect trifecta every day: Helping others, Working with Adolescents, and Teaching History. 


5. What do you love most about teaching?

It has become cliche to say that there is no other profession other than teaching; but I have discovered maxim to be gospel. Every day, I have the privilege to mentor students in their learning and to collaborate with a community of thoughtful professionals to support all aspects of my students' growth. Specifically, teaching gives me a different adventure or challenge every day to solve and explore with my students. Teaching middle school has both humbled me and inspired me in the same day. Even on days where my lesson may not have gone as planned, I remind myself of the mantra: "Progress not perfection". This reflection is one I try to apply not only in my career but life generally.  

 

6. What makes a great teacher?

Teachers are like lighthouses; we shine a light and give direction to guide our students while remaining ever present. Students will not remember decades or even months after your class what they learned but more importantly how you led by example and created a culture of respect and rapport. Practice humility and flexibility everyday are the most practical pieces of advice I would give to pre-service teachers. Overall, great teaching develops over time and centers around motivating students to inquire for knowledge. Always know your "why" as a teacher.

No comments:

Post a Comment